Monday , October 23 2017

Millions given to casino in Manila – Bangladesh central bank governor quits

Rizal Commercial Banking Corp (RCBC) branch manager Maia Santos- Deguito takes an oath during a senate hearing in Manila on March 15. A Philippine bank said it is investigating an $81 million deposit after Bangladesh accused Chinese hackers of stealing from a US account and illegally moving the funds online to the Philippines and Sri Lanka. (AFP)
Rizal Commercial Banking Corp (RCBC) branch manager Maia Santos- Deguito takes an oath during a senate hearing in Manila on March 15. A Philippine bank said it is investigating an $81 million deposit after Bangladesh accused Chinese hackers of stealing from a US account and illegally moving the funds online to the Philippines and Sri Lanka. (AFP)

MANILA, March 15, (RTRS): More than $30 million of the money hackers stole from the Bangladesh central bank’s account at the New York Fed was delivered in cash to a Chinese casino junket operator in Manila, officials told a Philippines Senate hearing on Tuesday.

A further $50 million was split between a casino resort and a gaming firm in the Philippines, where bank accounts that first received the funds were opened in 2015 as part of what officials now believe was an elaborately planned laundering scheme. “Our money trail ended up at the casinos,” Julia Bacay Abad, executive director of the Anti-Money Laundering Council, told the open hearing.

She said her agency had frozen 44 accounts connected to the case and had requested assistance from the United States’ Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Teofisto Guingona, head of the Senate’s anti-corruption committee, told Reuters ahead of the hearing that cash deliveries were made to an ethnic Chinese man over several days from a foreign exchange broker. These were made up of 600 million pesos ($12.87 million) and around $18 million, which meant the junket operator would have received a haul made up of at least 780,000 banknotes. The details shine a partial light on what happened after last month’s cyber-heist of Bangladesh Bank’s account at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, which netted hackers more than $80 million.

Transactions
The hackers tried to withdraw about $951 million from the account but the other transactions were blocked after a typo in one of the instructions raised red flags. Bangladesh Bank suspects the money was sent to the Philippines in four tranches and, once there, was diverted to casinos. It has said it is working with the anti-money laundering authorities in the Philippines to recover the funds.

The Philippines’ Rizal Commercial Banking Corp (RCBC) said last week it was investigating $81 million deposited at one of its branches. Senator Guingona said the transfers into RCBC were subsequently consolidated into one account and some of the money was converted to pesos. CCTV cameras at the branch were not functioning when the money was withdrawn, RCBC’s anti-money laundering head, Laurinda Rogero, told the Senate hearing.

The president of a foreign exchange broker called Philrem Service Corp, Salud Bautista, told the hearing her company was instructed over the phone by the bank branch manager to transfer the funds to a man named Weikang Xu and the two casinos. Guingona, the senator, said Xu was an ethnic Chinese foreigner but did not know if he was from mainland China.

Controlled
Bautista said $29 million ended up in an account of Solaire, a casino resort owned and operated by Bloombery Resorts Corp. Bloombery is controlled by Enrique Razon, the Philippines’ fifth-richest man in 2015, according to Forbes. Silverio Benny Tan, corporate secretary of Bloomberry Resorts, told the hearing that the $29 million was transferred into a casino account under Xu’s name in exchange for ‘dead chips’ that can only be cashed in from winnings. Bautista said a further $21 million went to an account of Eastern Hawaii Leisure Co., a gaming firm in northern Philippines. Reuters tried several phone numbers to seek comment from Eastern Hawaii officials but was unable to reach any.

State prosecutors said a complaint has been lodged by the Anti-Money Laundering Council against the manager of the RCBC branch and the holders of accounts into which the money was originally deposited. A council official told Reuters that more people were likely to be named. The branch manager, Maia Santos- Deguito, has denied any wrongdoing and in an interview with the local ANC TV channel said she was being used as a scapegoat.

Also:
DHAKA: Bangladesh’s central bank governor Atiur Rahman resigned on Tuesday following demands of accountability from the government after $81 million was stolen from the bank’s US account in one of the largest cyber heists ever. Rahman, who returned to Dhaka late on Monday after attending a weekend International Monetary Fund conference in New Delhi, told Reuters that Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina had accepted his resignation. The government also fired two deputy governors of the bank, Finance Minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhith said, days after blaming it for keeping the government in the dark about the theft. Rahman, 65, said he resigned to set an example in a country where there is not much precedence of accountability and to uphold the image of the central bank. “I took responsibility,” Rahman said. A former finance secretary, Fazle Kabir, would be the new governor, the finance minister said. Unknown hackers breached the computer systems of Bangladesh Bank and attempted to steal $951 million from its account at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, which it uses for international settlements, between Feb. 4 and Feb. 5.

Check Also

Gulf cyber attacks on rise, conference told – Hackers in Iran blamed … Government, financial bodies targeted

RIYADH, Feb 27, (AFP): Gulf countries must tighten coordination to fight an increasing number of …

Translate »