Kuwait announce squad for tournament
KUWAIT CITY, Dec 19, (KUNA): All security measures are completed in preparation for the Gulf 23 Gulf Cup said the Interior Ministry Tuesday. Director of Public Relations Brigadier General Adel Al-Hashash said that the Ministry was ready to secure the tournament, which will be held between Dec 22 until Jan 5.
The Ministry’s highest authority called for paying attention to security during the course of the tournament, said the official who called on spectators to abide by rules and regulations concerning fireworks and other hazardous materials. The gates of the Jaber International Stadium will be opened next Friday at 1:00 pm localtime to receive legions of fans and football enthusiasts. Medical preparations for the tournament are completed, said Minister of Health Dr Basel Al-Sabah Tuesday.
In a press release, the minister revealed that two aircrafts, seven field clinics, and various kinds of vehicles were prepared for any emergency at Jaber International Stadium. Kuwait national football team manager Boris Bunjak has announced his 23-man squad that will be competing in the 23rd Gulf Cup. They include Kuwait’s most-ever capped player (156 caps) midfielder Bader Al-Mutawa, alongside defenders Ali Maqseed (31 caps), Fahad Al-Hajri (24 caps) and Khaled Al-Qahtani (16 caps), and midfielders Fahad Al-Ansari (31 caps) and Abdullah Al-Buraiki (13 caps).
The others are Sulaiman Abdulghafoor, Khaled Al-Rasheedi, Redha Hani, Ahmad Al-Dhefeeri, Dhari Saeed, Khaled Ibrahim, Sultan Al-Enezi, Meshari Al-Azmi, Sami Al-Sanea, Hussain Hakim, Fahad Humoud, Hameed Al-Qallaf, Fahad Al- Enezi, Faisal Ajab, Faisal Zayed, Mohammad Saad and Humoud Melfi. According to a Kuwait Football Association statement, Bunjak has decided to leave five players out, namely Musaab Al-Kanderi, Ghazi Al-Fehaidi, Fahad Marzouq, Yaqoub Al-Tararwa and Faisal Al-Enezi, all uncapped players. Kuwait join Group A, arguably the tougher of the dual group competition, which includes Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Oman, while Group B comprises Bahrain, Qatar, Iraq and Yemen.
All four Group A nations hold a total 16 cups amongst them. Kuwait is the most successful nation in the tournament with 10 titles. Bunjak said Monday he was satisfied with the result of a friendly against Bahrain, which was part of preparations for the 23rd Gulf Cup due in Kuwait next Friday. A Kuwait Football Association statement quoted Bunjak as saying the players did well at the friendly which ended scoreless, noting some mistakes in the first half. He said the fact the players were absent from competitions abroad over the past two years affected their performance. FIFA had earlier this month lifted a ban on Kuwait football, paving the way for Kuwait to host the Gulf Cup. Bunjak said the players looked better in the second half and the ball possession was more than the first half.