This news has been read 7325 times!
KUWAIT CITY, March 21: The Criminal Court Tuesday sentenced six suspects to seven-year imprisonment and ordered them to pay a fine of KD 200,000 each. It sentenced the seventh suspect to five-year imprisonment and payment of fine worth KD 10,000. The suspects were accused of smuggling and possessing unlicensed hunting rifles, which were confiscated by the concerned authorities. The second, third and fourth suspects will be deported from the country following end of their jail term and the fourth suspect has been sacked from his job. According to the case file, the Public Prosecution had charged the suspects (from first to sixth) of possessing 198 hunting rifles without obtaining license from the concerned authorities. They had smuggled these weapons by dodging customs. With the help of the first suspect, the second and third suspects, who are expatriates, entered the country using expired passports and without taking fingerprints. The fifth suspect was accused of possessing 350 rounds of ammunition for trafficking and the seventh suspect was accused of assisting the fifth suspect based on an agreement between them.
Traffic fines in week: An informed security source said the traffic sector has collected KD 292,000 in fines from erring motorists during one week – the Unified GCC Traffic Week – during which the ‘block’ was lifted on those who had committed serious violations and were prevented from driving or processing any documents, reports Al-Anba daily. The source said the fines were collected over six days from last Sunday until Friday. The source added 34,000 traffic citations were issued in all governorates over the past week and 94 vehicles were impounded.
73 commit suicide: Seventythree people of different ages – Kuwaitis and expatriates – have committed suicide last year while 20 similar cases have been recorded until date in 2017, reports Al-Qabas daily. According to official statistics 75 suicide cases were recorded in 2015; 61 in 2014; 52 in 2013; 53 in 2012; 37 in 2011 and 52 in 2010. The statistics also showed the Indians topped the list in 2016 with 43 cases including 37 men, 6 women. The Kuwaitis came second with 11 cases — 9 men and 2 women. Sri Lankans are third with 6 cases, followed by Nepalese, 5; Egyptians fifth with 4 cases, including a woman. Twenty-four cases were recorded for other nationalities such as Filipinos, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Ethiopians and others.
Car auction April 5: General Traffic Department (GTD) announced that the committee for selling vehicles will get rid of several vehicles at the Vehicle Reservation Department in a public auction starting from 4:00 pm on Wednesday, April 5, in the premises of Kuwait Public Transport Authority-Mina Abdullah. In a statement, the department noted it published the number plates of vehicles with the names of their owners in the local newspapers, radio and TV channels on Monday, February 13 and summoned them to visit the committee within two weeks of the announcement. It openly invited those interested in the public auction to visit the vehicle reservation garage a day before the sale to look at the vehicles.
‘No encroachments’: Head of Emergency Team at the Capital Branch of Kuwait Municipality Zaid Al-Enezi has warned the owners of government plots and houses against encroaching on state property by erecting walls and fences without license, reports Al Rai daily. Al-Enezi announced a team has embarked on a campaign since Tuesday and issued advance notification to remove barricades in Jaber Al-Ahmad City, and the Municipality will impose KD 500 fine against infringements on state property through walls or fences built in front of houses. He added the campaign has started with government houses in Jaber Al-Ahmad area, and will proceed to plots in the affiliated areas before new areas in the district, in coordination with the Ministry of Interior. The team has since warned the owners of plots and houses violating regulations to remove the barricades within 15 days grace period.
Sorcerer arrested: Personnel from the Criminal Investigations Department have arrested an Iranian for practicing sorcery, reports Al-Anba daily. According to security sources, the arrest came after police received a tip-off about his activity via the social media. Police then set a trap for him and caught him red-handed when he agreed to provide a magic charm to a female police agent. Police have seized from the man witchcraft tools and referred him to the authorities.
By Jaber Al-Hamoud Al-Seyassah Staff and Agencies
This news has been read 7325 times!