This post has been read 164939 times!
KUWAIT CITY, Jan 6, (Agencies): There are no plans to either close the airports and ports and slap curfews or lockdowns despite the big jump in the number of corona infections in the country because the epidemiological situation in Kuwait is good, and that an increase in infections is expected in light of the spread of omicron infection all over the world, reports Al-Qabas daily. The sources added, the symptoms so far are mild, and sometimes unnoticeable, and at the moment there is no desire to change the pattern of life.
The decisive factor in the seriousness of the epidemic lies in the high number of deaths and intensive care cases, which are at the normal level in Kuwait. The sources explained the activity of the virus locally indicates the possibility of a continuing escalation of daily rates of infection until the beginning of next February, after which it will begin to decline gradually. The sources explained the increasing number of infections does not call for panic, because hospitalization is still stable.
However, if the number of people infected with the virus increases needing hospitalization, new government measures will be taken, most notably the ‘distancing’ among worshippers in mosques, distance learning and tightening the application of health protocols in closed places. Nonetheless, the sources indicated the government is currently in the midst of accelerating the pace of giving booster dose and to vaccinate children between 5 and 11 years, which is expected to begin at the end of this month, as soon as the vaccines arrive.
The sources stressed the government will implement any recommendations that may be submitted the Corona Emergency Committee in order to control the outbreak of the epidemic in the country; while at the same time stressed the government inspection teams are determined to close any facility in case of violation of the health laws as well as ‘punish’ social media rumor mongers. The following are expected precautionary recommendations such as banning hookah in cafés, applying social distancing in mosques, going back to online study and reducing government shifts.
The rapid spread of the omicron virus should not be the cause for panic, but rather caution and continued adherence to health requirements. In this regard, the head of the Supreme Advisory Committee to confront the virus, Dr. Khaled Al-Jarallah, told Al-Rai “the rate of infection is high, and there is sharp escalation in the curve of infections with the mutated wave in the countries that preceded us,” but he reassured that “most of the infections even now is for symptoms of the upper respiratory system, its severity according to immunity and immunization, and recovery for all cases is inside the homes.”
The health sources mentioned the peak of the deterioration of the epidemiological situation in Kuwait was last July when 1,993 cases of infection were recorded, but the difference between then and now is that the number of people in intensive care at that time was 310, 1,150 in wards, and 20 daily deaths unlike now, and the number of active cases was then 18,600 against 8,088 yesterday.
However, the sources stressed on the importance of adhering to health protocols, social distancing, and the initiative to receive the (third) dose of the anti-virus vaccine and said the stage of panic and fear has become a thing of the past, and what is required today is to raise the level of caution to continue maintaining the stability of the level of the epidemiological index and not deteriorating it. Dr Al-Jarallah stressed that “avoiding gatherings, adhering to preventive measures, receiving vaccination doses, and home isolation when symptoms are felt, and adherence to health directives will support control efforts and accelerate the recovery stage.” Health Minister Dr. Khaled Al-Saeed tested positive for COVID- 19 and now in isolation, said the Health Ministry on Thursday.
A statement by the ministry affirmed that Dr. Al-Saeed was in good health and following protocols stipulated by health authorities in case of infection.He will continue attending to his duties remotely, affirmed the statement. The COVID-19 Ministerial Emergency Committee forward its recommendations and proposals to the Cabinet’s upcoming meeting, said an official Thursday. Speaking to KUNA, head of the Center for Government Communication (CGC) Tareq Al-Mezrem said that the committee’s meeting, chaired in Seif Palace by Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense Sheikh Hamad Jaber Al- Ali Al-Sabah, focused on the pandemic’s development locally and how health measures were implemented to curb the rapid number of COVID-19 cases.
Health and educational officials updated the committee of the latest happenings in their fields, revealed Al-Mezrem, noting that all proposals were now forwarded to the cabinet’s next meeting for discussion and decisions. The Ministry of Health said on Thursday that 2,413 people tested positive for coronavirus (COVID- 19) in the past 24 hours, taking Kuwait’s caseload to 425,455. The recoveries went up by 264 to 412,749, the Ministry’s Spokesman Dr. Abdullah Al- Sanad said, noting that the recoveries represent 97 percent of the overall infections. Zero death cases were registered, keeping the total death toll at 2,469, he told KUNA.