This post has been read 30244 times!
KUWAIT CITY, Nov 29: The Ministry of Commerce and Industry confirmed that the country has enough food supply for more than six months, reports Al-Anba daily quoting sources. These sources made the statement as all countries try to find ways to deal with the new Coronavirus variant, in addition to calls for the government to fully abide by the instructions and guidelines to mitigate the risks of the new strain and to close commercial fl ights with nine countries in the African continent.
Sources confirmed there are instructions to import any commodity that is missing in the local market in order to meet the needs of citizens and expatriates, in addition to increasing the stocks in the ration branches. Sources stated that shipment through air, land and sea to and from Kuwait is still open and there has been no change in this aspect so far. Sources confirmed that Kuwait has acquired sufficient experience in this field, especially since it has ample food supply that makes it ready for any emergency situation. Sources added the past experience of the country; especially at the beginning of the crisis, laid down a road map for the concerned authorities in dealing with the crisis. Sources affirmed there is no reason to panic due to the new variant – ‘Omicron’, as manifested in the fact that the Food Committee was not called to hold a meeting regarding the new variant, as there is no need to do so at present. Sources indicated that the current food stock is sufficient for a period of more than six months in the event of the worst case scenario. Sources confirmed the ministry is keen on implementing and following the precautionary measures specified by the health authorities.
With regard to importing foodstuff from South African countries, sources said no instruction has been issued regarding this matter so far. This means the import of all kinds of foodstuff from those countries remain the same, sources added. They also ruled out the possibility of closing shipping lines at the moment or even in the near future. The World Health Organization (WHO) says the PCR tests that are being carried out to detect those infected with the Corona virus are still effective and good enough to detect the new mutant ‘Omicron’, reports Al-Rai daily.
Nonetheless, the WHO says, studies are underway to measure the effectiveness of other tools in use to detect infection with the disease. The daily quoting sources said, no new mutant has caused such concern around the world, since the emergence of the mutant ‘Delta’. The WHO does not yet know whether the Omicron is more easily transferrable than other mutants. As many as 15 more countries are added to the list of more than 100 nations which now recognize India’s Covid-19 vaccination certificates, says a press release issued by the Indian Embassy in Kuwait quoting a tweet from Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Arindam Bagchi.
The tweet read, “Mutual recognition of India Covid-19 vaccination certificates continue with the latest recognition coming from Australia, Bangladesh, Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Mauritius, Mongolia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Palestine, the Philippines, San Marino, Singapore, Switzerland, Turkey and Ukraine.” Earlier this month, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare had said that nearly 100 countries had agreed to the Mutual Acceptance of vaccination certificates of India’s Covid vaccines and vaccination process. India’s Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya had said the government is in communication with the rest of the world so that beneficiaries of the world’s largest Covid vaccination program gets accepted and recognized, thereby easing travel for education, business and tourism purposes. The Health Ministry along with the MEA is in continuous communication with all countries for mutual recognition of vaccine certificates, and WHO and nationally approved vaccines to facilitate hassle-free international travel across countries.