This post has been read 28180 times!
KUWAIT CITY, March 19: The domestic labor crisis with the Philippines has entered a new phase, which is more complex and beyond the control of the concerned government agencies – the high number of absconding workers or those seeking refuge in their embassy; coinciding with the approach of the holy month of Ramadan when Kuwaiti families badly need such manpower, reports Al-Qabas daily quoting sources from the domestic labor sector.
Sources told the daily that the number of female workers seeking refuge at the Philippine Embassy is “about 20 per day.” Sources said most of these workers are registered as absconding and the embassy has allocated a new accommodation for them along Ibn Khaldoun Street in Hawally to accommodate the rising number of these workers. The daily obtained a copy of the embassy‘ s letter to the domestic labor recruitment offices; asking them to send their representatives to its headquarters to personally pay the corresponding fees within three days from the date of sending the letter; otherwise, the offices’ accreditation will be cancelled.
Meanwhile, the owners of these offices confirmed to the daily that they are “committed to paying the fees, given that the financial guarantees registered with Philippine agencies range from $50,000 to $100,000; while the requested payment has nothing to do with the warranty period.” In a related development, batches of distressed Filipina workers continue to leave the country. The number of Filipinos, who left Kuwait permanently from January till date has reached 638. This month, 133 Filipina workers in the Deportation Center have so far left Kuwait as part of group trips arranged by the Philippine Embassy.