Thursday , January 24 2019

Transfer of residence of Mother and Sister from deceased Father to Son

I wish to receive urgent advice from the Arab Times Legal Clinic on the following matter.

My father, who was working in Kuwait on an Article 18 visa, unfortunately passed away a couple of days ago. My mother and sister are under his sponsorship.

Now after the death of my father, how long will it be possible for both of them to stay legally in Kuwait. Will it be possible to transfer my mother and sister’s residency (Iqama) to my sponsorship. I am also working in Kuwait on an Article 18 residence as an accountant and already have my wife on my sponsorship. I have no children yet.

The transfer of my mother residency becomes even more critical as we are Muslims, my mother plans to observe the period of “Iddah” (mourning period ) in Kuwait only.

Name withheld

Answer: First of all, you have to approach the Director General of Immigration to allow your mother to stay in the country for the “Iddah” or mourning period (4 months and 10 days for Muslims).

We are confident the Director General will accept your request. Now talking about the dependent issue, that is a very tricky question because the Ministry of Interior, through the Immigration Department, decreed two years ago that such residencies would be only for the wives and children of expatriates and not any other relative, not even parents.

But having said that, we would still advise you to approach the Director General of Immigration with your request because such visas — although very few in number — are still being issued with the permission of senior Interior Ministry officials.

It is possible that you might get a sympathetic ear because your father has expired and your mother and sister are dependent on you. Moreover, they are already in Kuwait on a dependent residence. The most difficult, if not impossible, part will be getting the dependent visa for your sister.

Check Also

Previous company giving better opportunity can I join back?

Reference to the above I would like to know whether it is possible for me …

Translate »