Sunday , September 23 2018

Philippine forces pound militants – ‘Surrender or die’

A Muslim policeman prays inside a building riddled with bullet holes as a mosque is reflected on a glass window during a lull in fighting in Marawi on the southern island of Mindanao on May 29. (AFP)

MARAWI, Philippines, May 30, (Agencies): Philippine authorities on Tuesday warned Islamist militants occupying parts of a southern city to surrender or die, as attack helicopters pounded the gunmen’s strongholds where up to 2,000 residents were feared trapped.

More than 100 people have been confirmed killed in the conflict, which began last week when gunmen waving black flags of the Islamic State (IS) group rampaged through the mostly Muslim-populated city of Marawi.

President Rodrigo Duterte declared martial law across the entire southern region of Mindanao, home to roughly 20 million people, in response to the crisis as he warned that local militant groups were uniting behind IS and becoming a major security threat. But the militants, initially estimated by the nation’s defence chief to number just 100, withstood eight days of intense air assaults and street-to-street combat, prompting the government’s threats on Tuesday. “We call on the remaining terrorists to surrender while there is an opportunity,” military spokesman Brigadier-General Restituto Padilla said.

“For the terrorists, not surrendering will mean their sure death.” Padilla also told AFP the surrender call was aimed at limiting the loss of more lives and property. Up to 2,000 residents were trapped in areas held by the militants, according to the local government, and the International Committee of the Red Cross voiced alarm they would be caught in the bombing raids or crossfire.

“The risks and the vulnerabilities of the people inside Marawi are rising every day,” ICRC spokeswoman Lany Dela Cruz told AFP.

The militants also took a priest and up to 14 other people hostage at the start of the crisis. A video of the priest appeared on social media on Tuesday in which he repeated the militants’ demands to withdraw, although it was unclear when the footage was filmed and its veracity could not be immediately verified. Clashes on Tuesday appeared to be as intense as previous days, according to an AFP reporter who followed security forces who had to run from militants’ sniper fire coming from nearby buildings.

Military helicopters fired rockets repeatedly on that part of the city on Tuesday morning, and black smoke rose from the buildings that were apparently hit. The militants had killed at least 19 civilians, while 20 security forces and 65 gunmen had died, according to the military.

Please follow and like us:

Check Also

Philippine troops kill 2 suspected bomb couriers in south

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — The Philippine military says troops have killed two bomb couriers at …

Translate »
Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial