This post has been read 5859 times!
KUWAIT CITY, June 26: The recently-ratified law prohibiting those who abuse or insult God and HH the Amir from running in the elections does not target any group or individual nor restrain people, says Minister of Public Works and State Minister for National Assembly Affairs Dr Ali Al-Omair.
Speaking to the press on the sidelines of the Salafi Party ‘Ghabqa’ at Al-Melem Hall in Al-Adeliyah, Al-Omair clarified the law will not allow citizens who intentionally insult God and HH the Amir from contesting the elections, not those who do so mistakenly. He affirmed a law is enacted for the benefit of everyone, not to target a group or individual. He expects disagreement over the law in the political arena, “but the Constitution and laws govern the nation so the view approved by the majority always matters, with all due respect to the opposing minority.”
When asked about the constitutional movement party and its decision to participate in the next election after the boycotting it, Al-Omair pointed out he previously called for their return and their confirmation was expected. He said this can be viewed as a way to correct their mistake, urging all the other political movements to refrain from boycotting the election and exercise their right to vote for the betterment of the country.
Furthermore, the minister, as a member of Salafi Movement, insisted the group never left the political arena and it has always been active considering it won the trust of the public numerous times in the past. He stressed the movement did not commit a grave mistake to lose the trust of its supporters, hoping the ongoing preparations for the upcoming parliamentary elections will be fruitful. “We are now setting goals and determining the level of effort needed,” the minister said, while explaining they have yet to decide on their candidates and the constituencies from which they will run.
Rumor has it that the Constitutional and Salafi movements are going to collaborate in the next parliamentary elections. When asked about this, the minister stressed such collaboration has always been on the agenda of Salafi Movement as the latter has no rivalry with other political groups and movements. He added, “It is only a question of working towards reform and development of the country.”
❑ ❑ ❑
The Ministry of Education and Higher Education announced Sunday its decision to refer 435 public school teachers – 258 Kuwaitis and 157 expatriates – for compulsory retirement as their years of service will reach 34 by the fifth of next month. The ministry has confirmed completion of the list of those who will be referred for compulsory retirement for various reasons such as exceeding the age limit. The list includes 50 principals, three management officials, head of the Private Education Department, head of the Project Coordination Department, and head of Educational Affairs in Mubarak Al-Kabeer Educational District. The ministry also affirmed that numerous committees and departments reviewed files of those included on the list thoroughly in order to ensure the issuance of an impartial decision.
By Ahmed Al-Naqeeb Arab Times Staff