RAMALLAH, Sept 6 (KUNA) — Palestinian Ministry of Awqaf and Religious Affairs documented more than 20 acts of desecration targeting Al-Aqsa mosque by the Israelis in August.
Husam Abulrab, the ministry undersecretary, said in a statement on Sunday the mosque had been desecrated by Jewish settlers and students of Jewish religious academies.
The Israeli occupation authority, last month, maintained a siege on the mosque, he said, adding that Palestinian guards were sent away from duty sites and Palestinian activists were barred from holding sit-ins in the mosque compound.
Settlers performed some rituals, blew bullhorns and hoisted the Israeli flag within the mosque courtyard, in acts intended to provoke Muslims, he added.
Also in Al-Khalil (Hebron), the Israelis banned prayer calls 50 times, last month, specified number of devotees allowed to enter the mosque and erected checkpoints at key roads’ locations.