TEHRAN, Nov 20 (KUNA) — The Iranian government said on Wednesday that the rioting acts erupted in the wake of the decision on raising fuel prices will not continue more than two days.
The gap between the peaceful protests and violence increased, the government spokesman Ali Rabeie was quoted by Iran’s Mehr News Agency.
He noted, “violence and riots at streets marginalize the peaceful protests,” denying that that the government raised fuel prices due to the deficit.
He said that the aim of the plan to support living conditions of citizens through managing fuel consumption is to compensate the deficit in backing the living conditions of people, especially the poor.
More than 60 percent of Iranian families have no cars, and mostly every car in the countryside consumes less than 60 liters of fuel per month, he pointed out.
Earlier in the day, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said during a cabinet meeting that the Iranians have proven that they will not allow the enemy to carry out its plans.
He added that the people realized well that the main aim is to achieving energy self-sufficiency to depend on the country’s sources.
Meanwhile, Iran foreign ministry summoned Swiss Ambassador Markus Leitner, whose country represents US interests in Tehran, to protest against the US interference in the country’s internal affairs.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo wrote on Twitter that the US supports Iranian people.
Some Iranian cities witnessed over the last days separate protests associated with rioting acts, and the burning of some private and public properties in the wake of the government decision on raising car fuel.
No official numbers of casualties have been revealed so far