Company planning to shut down or terminate employees – Residence transfer

I am an engineer working in Kuwait for the last 12 years. I recently changed my job — 2.5 months ago. The current company transferred my residency immediately after I joined with them.

Now the company is planning to shut down the department or terminate employees. If so, is it possible for me to change the job & transfer my visa before one year? Please confirm.

Name withheld

Answer: If the company decides to terminate the employees every one of them, regardless of their length of service, has the right to transfer to another company. If, however, the company only closes down your department and transfers you to another department you will not have the right to transfer to another firm.

Send your queries to or

© Copyright 2016, Arab Times Kuwait

Check Also

Code 71 expats to be given 60-day grace period – Legalise stay or face violations committee

KUWAIT CITY, May 6: Files that have been blocked by code 71 will be referred …

Translate »