KANO, Nigeria, Jan 15, (AFP): Islamist militants Boko Haram on Monday released a new video purporting to show at least 14 of the schoolgirls abducted from the northeast Nigerian town of Chibok in April 2014. At least three of the group were seen carrying babies. One of the students said: “We are the Chibok girls… . By the grace of Allah, we will not return to you.” T h e 20-minutelong video is the first since May last year when a w o m a n claiming to be one of the 219 schoolgirls was seen holding a gun and also refusing to return to her parents. It was not clear when or where the latest message was recorded or whether those who appeared on camera were under duress. But the woman speaking, her face covered by a veil, said they had all been married by Boko Haram factional leader Abubakar Shekau. “We live in comfort. He provides us with everything. We lack nothing,” she added. Shekau is also seen in the video, firing a heavy machine gun and making a 13-minutelong sermon. The jihadists seized 276 students from the Government Girls Secondary School in the mostly Christian town in Borno state on April 14, 2014, triggering global condemnation.
‘Hand over children’: Somalia’s al-Qaeda linked Shebab insurgents are increasingly threatening civilians to force them to hand over young children for “indoctrination and military training”, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said Monday. The rights watchdog said an aggressive campaign to recruit children had begun in mid- 2017, with the jihadists taking reprisals against communities who refuse to cooperate.