KUWAIT CITY, July 31, (Agencies): His Highness the Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah on Monday sent a cable of condolences to Saudi King Salman Bin Abdulaziz over the “martyrdom” of a Saudi security man and injuries to others in a terrorist attack at the Al-Masora neighborhood in Qatif province.
In the cable, His Highness the Amir voiced Kuwait’s strong condemnation of this heinous terrorist attack that was aimed at disrupting security and stability in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
His Highness also expressed support for all measures taken by the Saudi authorities to fight terrorism and safeguard the Kingdom’s security and stability.
His Highness the Amir also reiterated Kuwait’s rejection of terrorism in all its manifestations, wishing speedy recovery of the injured.
His Highness the Crown Prince Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah and His Highness the Prime Minister Sheikh Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Hamad Al-Sabah sent similar cables.
Kuwaiti National Assembly Speaker Marzouq Al-Ghanim sent a cable of condolences to Saudi Shura Council Chairman Sheikh Dr Abdullah bin Mohammad Al Sheikh over the “martyrdom” of the Saudi policeman and injuries to several others in a “terrorist” attack on their police vehicle at the Al-Masora neighborhood in Qatif province.
In the cable, the Speaker emphatically condemned this “heinous” attack, while reiterating full support to all measures taken by the Saudi government to uphold the kingdom’s security and stability.
The Kingdom of Bahrain also vehemently condemned the attack on a security patrol in Al-Masoura district in the Saudi governorate of Qatif yesterday, which left a security man dead and six others injured.
The Bahraini Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a press release that Bahrain stands side by side with Saudi Arabia in its war on terrorism and its supporters and financiers, saying that it also supports all measures taken by the Kingdom to uphold its security, along with all its efforts to promote regional and international peace and stability.
In this context, the ministry called for more concerted international cooperation and efforts to wipe out terrorism.
It also offered condolences to the martyr’s family and wished the wounded a speedy recovery.
A Saudi police officer was killed and six others wounded when a patrol came under attack in the town of Awamiya in eastern Saudi Arabia on Sunday morning, the interior ministry said.
Several policemen have been killed in the Shiite Muslim town since May when authorities began tearing down the old part of the town to deny suspected militants a place to hide.
At least five people were killed over two days last week when security forces began an operation to flush out suspected militants in Awamiya, in Qatif province, part of the oil-producing region, according to local activists and a relative of one of the deceased.
On Sunday, the police patrol came under a “terrorist attack using an exploding projectile” near the walled part of Awamiya known as al-Musawara, the interior ministry said in a statement carried by state news agency SPA.
The six wounded were in stable condition in hospital, it said.
Residents say shooting by security forces has forced many locals and expatriate workers to flee the town.
The area has seen unrest and occasional armed attacks on security forces since the 2011 “Arab spring” protests. Residents of Awamiya complain they are marginalised by the Sunni-led Saudi government, something Riyadh denies.
Authorities say they intend to replace the dilapidated 200-year-old al-Musawara with a modern district.