publish time

18/10/2023

author name Arab Times

publish time

18/10/2023

Kuwaiti Municipality at work to remove encroachments on land under high power lines

KUWAIT CITY, Oct 18: An official source in the Ministry of Electricity, Water and Renewable Energy said there is a tendency to cancel 3 projects to establish electricity and water stations, which were to be offered through the Public-Private Partnership Projects (PPP) Authority, and instead offer these vital projects for implementation via direct contracting with companies.

The source said, “The Ministry is studying a number of ideas with the aim of accelerating development in the electricity sector,” while at the same time explaining that “these ideas are still being studied and evaluated, and that the matter is being discussed with more than one official body to determine its feasibility and the possibility of doing so,” reports Al-Rai daily.

The source added, “This trend of canceling projects is one of the options offered,” pointing out that the projects are the Al-Zour North Power Plant Project (second phase), the Al-Khairan Power Plant Project (first phase), and the Al-Shaqaya Renewable Energy Project.

“The Al-Shaqaya renewable energy project is expected to produce 4,500 megawatts, while the Al-Khairan station is expected to produce 1,800 megawatts and no less than 33 million gallons of water per day, while the Al-Zour North station is expected to produce 2,700 megawatts and no less than 120 million gallons of water per day,” said the source.

It is noteworthy that the global consultant in charge of preparing the documents for the Al-Shaqaya project has completed the preparation for the feasibility study, and is awaiting the decision from the Supreme Committee, while the special global consultant is preparing the tender documents for the Al-Zour and Al-Khairan projects, for which the PPP had previously announced an invitation to rehabilitate the companies wishing to participate to implement the two projects.