Kuwait prosecution tackles ten money-wash cases per month

This news has been read 5462 times!

KUWAIT CITY, Aug 12: The data issued by the Ministry of Justice shows the Public Prosecution received a total of 17,000 cases in the first half of this year. Among these cases, there were 60 instances of money laundering, averaging about 10 cases each month, reports Al-Qabas daily. The statistics, a copy of which has been obtained by the daily, show a mixed trend in crime rates. Some categories of cases and crimes have experienced an increase, while others have witnessed a decrease. Meanwhile, certain cases have maintained their usual levels of reporting to the Public Prosecution.

Comparing the first half of 2023 to the same period in 2022, the total number of cases received by the Public Prosecution has decreased by 10 per cent. Analyzing the occurrence of money laundering crimes over the past five years, it’s evident that 2021 witnessed the highest number of these crimes, with the Public Prosecution investigating 167 cases. This number decreased to 64 cases in 2022, possibly indicating a global effort to combat such crimes. In 2023, the number of money laundering cases dropped further to 60. The data highlights that males constitute 90 per cent of those accused of crimes investigated by the Public Prosecution, while females make up the remaining 10 per cent.

The total number of defendants was approximately 18,000, with the majority of those committing these crimes falling within the age range of 30 to 40 years old. The data for the first half of 2023 indicates that environmental violations top the list with a significant margin, registering 4030 cases. Domestic violence cases rank second with 2200 instances, followed by juvenile misdemeanors with 815 cases. The surge in environmental misdemeanor cases can be attributed to heightened enforcement measures and stricter adherence to the law. Law enforcement and environmental agencies are acting swiftly to combat violations.

Tightening legal penalties for environmental violations, which can include up to 3 years of imprisonment and fines up to 50,000 dinars, contributes to curbing environmental crimes. Domestic violence cases have also experienced a slight increase, totaling 1,216 cases in the first half of 2023 compared to 2,200 for the entire 2022. Observers within the court system, especially at the Palace of Justice, have noted an uptick in domestic violence cases. These cases are being heard daily, with an increasing number of complaints from abused women. Some of these cases arise from retaliatory or malicious intent, while others result from actual assaults. Nevertheless, many of these cases end in acquittals or minor fines. Consequently, some parties are turning to outof- court settlements in an effort to mend family relationships and contribute to their stability

This news has been read 5462 times!

Related Articles

Back to top button

Advt Blocker Detected

Kindly disable the Ad blocker

Verified by MonsterInsights