Kuwait honors blood donors: Minister acknowledges 2023 collection success

This news has been read 581 times!

Citizens constitute 55pct of blood donors

Minister of Health Dr. Ahmed Al-Awadhi

KUWAIT CITY, June 25: On Monday, the Minister of Health, Dr. Ahmed Al-Awadhi, announced the collection of over 85,000 bags of blood and 8,000 bags of platelets throughout the year 2023. Addressing attendees at the celebration held by the Blood Transfusion Services Department on the occasion of World Blood Donor Day, Dr. Al-Awadhi emphasized the Ministry’s dedication to obtaining safe blood using the latest scientific methods to ensure the provision of high-quality transfusion and cellular therapy services.

Highlighting the significance of blood donation, Minister Al-Awadhi underscored that citizens constituted 55 percent of blood donors, with residents of 75 nationalities contributing the remaining 45 percent. He lauded the Department of Blood Transfusion Services’ pursuit of international recognition from the American Blood Banks Organization. Notably, the Kuwaiti Blood Bank stands as the only Arab institution recognized for meeting four standards: reference laboratories, blood transfusion, blood donation, and genetic laboratories.

Expressing gratitude for the collective effort in blood donation campaigns, Minister Al-Awadhi extended sincere appreciation to donors and organizations contributing to the strategic blood reserve. He emphasized the humanitarian aspect of blood donation, labeling it a mission in which the entire community participates.

Dr. Reem Al-Radwan, Director of the Blood Transfusion Services Department, also addressed the audience, highlighting Kuwait’s participation in the World Health Organization’s World Blood Donor Day celebrations. This year’s theme, “20 years of celebrating giving… Thank you to blood donors,” emphasizes the importance of continued donation to maintain a safe and sustainable blood supply.

Dr. Al-Radwan expressed gratitude to all donors and organizations involved in donation campaigns, which numbered approximately 290, representing an 18 percent increase over 2022. She underscored the societal responsibility of blood donation, emphasizing its role in saving lives and ensuring timely treatment for patients in need.

This news has been read 581 times!

Related Articles

Back to top button

Advt Blocker Detected

Kindly disable the Ad blocker

Verified by MonsterInsights