Indian man gets 16 years for raping university student in Singapore

This news has been read 701 times!

A Singapore court has sentenced a 26-year-old Indian national to 16 years imprisonment and 12 strokes of the cane for raping a university student on May 4, 2019.

SINGAPORE, Oct 29, (Agencies): In a recent ruling by a Singapore court, a 26-year-old Indian national, Chinnaiah Karthik, has been sentenced to 16 years in prison and 12 strokes of the cane for the rape of a university student that occurred on May 4, 2019. The case faced a significant delay in reaching the court, spanning almost four years, due to the convicted perpetrator’s mental condition, which necessitated multiple rounds of psychiatric evaluation.

The victim was attacked as she walked to a late-night bus stop when Karthik, after leading her in the wrong direction, proceeded to assault her physically. He punched her, forcibly dragged her into a wooded area, and subjected her to a brutal sexual assault. The victim’s injuries were so severe that her then-boyfriend failed to recognize her when visiting her in the hospital the following day.

During the attack, the victim made desperate attempts to defend herself. She tried to remove Karthik’s hand from her throat as she struggled to breathe. Tragically, Karthik responded by tightening his grip, further compromising her ability to breathe. He also threatened her, instructing her to remain silent, asserting that nobody would hear her cries for help.

After Karthik left the scene, the victim managed to retrieve her mobile phone from her belongings and contacted her then-boyfriend, who subsequently informed her friend to report the incident to the police. Law enforcement swiftly responded by transporting the victim to a hospital for a sexual assault examination. The examination revealed that the victim had sustained numerous injuries, including scrapes, scratches, and bruises, with strangulation marks visible on her neck area.

Following an extensive investigation, the police were able to locate and apprehend the assailant on May 5, 2019. Their efforts were aided by footage from Land Transport Authority and police cameras, which identified Karthik. The footage showed him deliberately concealing himself behind a tree, making concerted efforts to avoid detection as he trailed the victim for nearly 15 minutes before they disappeared from view.

During the court proceedings, the Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP), Kayal Pillay, argued that the attack was not a spontaneous act. DPP Yvonne Poon, representing the prosecution, contended that Karthik had multiple interactions with the victim and intentionally steered her away from her potential route to safety. She further emphasized that Karthik had taken significant measures to minimize his presence and avoid detection while stalking the victim.

This news has been read 701 times!

Related Articles

Back to top button

Advt Blocker Detected

Kindly disable the Ad blocker

Verified by MonsterInsights