------------- --------------
Monday , October 14 2019

Toll over 100 in Yemen- ‘Not informed of detainees’

Bodies covered in plastic lie on the ground amid the rubble of a Houthi detention center destroyed by Saudi-led airstrikes, that killed at least 60 people and wounding several dozen according to officials and the rebels’ health ministry, in Dhamar province, southwestern Yemen, Sunday, Sept. 1, 2019. The officials said the airstrikes took place Sunday and targeted a college in the city of Dhamar, which the Houthi rebels use as a detention center. The Saudi-led coalition said it had hit a Houthi military facility used as storages for drones and missiles in Dhamar. (AP Photo/Hani Mohammed)

SANAA, Yemen, Sept 2, (AP): Yemeni medics said on Monday they pulled dozens of bodies from the rubble of a Houthi rebelrun detention center that was hit a day earlier by Saudi-led coalition airstrikes, killing over 100 people and wounding dozens.

It was the deadliest such attack so far this year in a stalemated four-year war that’s claimed tens of thousands of lives, thrust millions to the brink of famine and spawned the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.

The Saudi-led coalition, which has fought the Iranbacked Houthis since 2015, has faced international criticism for airstrikes that have hit schools, hospitals and wedding parties, killing thousands of civilians. He said the Red Cross never told the coalition that there were detainees at the site, which he said was not on a UN coordinated no-strike list.

The UN provides the coalition with coordinates for locations such as hospitals, schools and official prisons to ensure they are not hit by airstrikes. “The only known prion (in the area) is located 10 km (6 miles) north of the targeted site,” he said.

Check Also

A game of interests and blood in Yemen

Muslim Brother Thu Thu’aleban, Persian Bin Semaifa’a … Ahmed Al-Jarallah Editor-in-Chief, the Arab Times WHAT …

Translate »