Friday , November 24 2017

THOUSANDS LEAVE ALEPPO IN EVACUATION DEAL – Cabinet urges UNSC to halt genocide

In this photo released by the Syrian official news agency SANA, smoke rises from green government buses, in Idlib province, Syria, on Dec 18. Activists said, militants burned at least five buses assigned to evacuate wounded and sick people from two villages in northern Syria. (AP)

KUWAIT CITY, Dec 19, (Agencies): The Kuwaiti Cabinet has called on the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to intervene promptly and stop the “genocides perpetrated against the Syrian people.” The Cabinet, during its customary weekly meeting held Monday, also expressed gratitude to all those who have contributed to the relief campaigns for Syria. In a statement after the weekly session, Minister of State for Cabinet Affairs Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah stated that the ministers affirmed solidarity of the Kuwaiti people behind the sagacious leadership in facing injustice and the approach to end the hardships suffered by the Syrian people.

Intervene
The Cabinet, Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah said, called on the UN Security Council to intervene immediately to halt the “genocides perpetrated against the Syrian people.” He stated, “The Cabinet has followed up with deep concern on the regretful situation in the Syrian city of Aleppo, condemning the brutal operations and the massacres committed by the regime against the unarmed residents and the innocents. “The Cabinet expresses gratitude to the faithful Kuwaiti people for interacting with the fundraising campaigns, undertaken by the Ministry of Information, Kuwait Red Crescent Society and relief societies, as a contribution to ending the injustice suffered by the brotherly Syrian people. “The Cabinet affirms necessity of the Kuwaiti people’s solidarity, bolstering national unity and standing in one line behind the wise leadership in facing the injustice and the hardships of the Syrian people and the Council urges the Security Council to intervene immediately to halt the genocides against the brotherly Syrian people.”

Evacuated
Thousands, meanwhile, were evacuated from the last rebel-held enclave of Aleppo on Monday after a deal was reached to allow people to leave two besieged pro-government villages in nearby Idlib province. In bitter winter weather, convoys of buses from eastern Aleppo reached rebel-held areas to the west of the city, and more buses left the Shi’ite Muslim villages of al-Foua and Kefraya for government lines, according to a UN official and the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a monitoring group. The United Nations Security Council agreed a resolution calling for UN officials and others to be allowed to monitor evacuations from east Aleppo and the safety of civilians still there.

The Syrian ambassador to the United Nations, Bashar Ja’afari, denounced the resolution as propaganda, saying the last of the rebels were leaving and Aleppo would be “clean” by Monday evening. The recapture of Aleppo is Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s biggest victory so far in the nearly six-yearold war, but the fighting is not over with large parts of the country still controlled by insurgent and Islamist groups. Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said 20,000 civilians had been evacuated from Aleppo so far.

Check Also

US refuses to say Syria peace effort failed

Washington, Dec 14, 2016 (AFP) -The United States refused to say its diplomatic efforts to …

Translate »