Residence for New Born, Father on temporary visa

I have newborn baby and I’m in a difficult situation now. My current visa is temporary visa (for 1 month) because of some issue relating to my company. I don’t know when they will finish transferring my visa and getting a new visa for me.

I went to the Births and Deaths Registration Office in my area. I have all my legal documents except a valid Civil ID. And they rejected my application for a birth certificate and told me to come back when I have a new Civil ID.

I need your good advice on whether there is still a way to get the birth certificate for my newborn baby?

Name withheld

Answer: While it is likely that, for various reasons, the Births and Deaths Registration Office will not give you the birth certificate for the baby until you meet all the requirements, sometimes the same is granted when exceptions are made. You should go and see a senior officer at the same office and explain the situation to him. It is possible that he might accept your request and give you the certificate.

You have to remember, however, that you will not be able to get residence for the baby as long as you are on temporary residence. Only after you get proper residence and a new Civil ID card will this residence by okayed for the baby.

I brought my newborn baby girl to Kuwait from India before my visa expired i.e. May 12, 2016. But I got her civil ID number after my visa expired and my company has extended my visa for 3 months i.e. until Aug 9, 2016.

Now in this case how much penalty will I have to pay until I get my daughter’s residence? Please also guide me whether there any way to get her Kuwait residency based on the fact that I am currently on a temporary residence, visa Article 14?

Name withheld
Answer: In cases like yours, when the delay in getting the residence goes beyond the 60 days set by the Ministry of Interior, the case automatically goes to court. When you go to the Immigration Department, after your residence issue is settled, to get residence for your child, you will be referred to an investigation officer in your area.

The investigation officer will take your statement, including the fact on why the whole procedure was delayed. The case will then be referred to court and you will be told to report to a certain prosecutor who will then give you a date to appear in court.

During the hearing, the judge almost never asks you anything and passes his verdict based on your statement to the investigation officer and the remarks of the prosecutor. So, you must make it clear in your statement that delay in getting the residence was no fault of yours.

In most of the cases, the judge just imposes a very nominal fine — around KD 20 or 30 (a lot of times there is no fine at all) and tells you to get the residence of the child immediately.

After paying this fine, you have to go to the Immigration Department to get the residence. There will be no further fine and you will easily get the residence on payment of the regular fees.

Check Also

Obtaining special permission from Director General of Immigration

Please could you advise on the procedure to obtain a special permission from the Director …

Translate »