KUWAIT CITY, Jan 14: MP Riyadh Al-Adsani has warned against the reinstatement of club unions dissolved by HH the Prime Minister Sheikh Jaber Al- Mubarak Al-Hamad Al-Sabah, indicating he will hold the premier responsible if the reinstatement pushes through. He said the reinstatement should be done through elections or court ruling, especially since the dissolution was due to financial and legal violations.
He also underscored the need for clubs to hold elections sooner or as per the schedule while the tenure of any committee or temporary union should not be extended as such a step is tantamount to disrespecting the rights of general assemblies.
He added, “Our responsibility is to end this sports conflict that devastated the local sports sector considering the youths of Kuwait paid a high price for this. We were and are still are keen on raising Kuwait’s flag internationally and to push for participation of Kuwait in international forums.” He asked the government to shoulder its responsibilities, warning that he will grill the state minister for youth affairs if the dissolve unions are reinstated. He added that he had earlier presented four grilling requests on important national issues like sports and Jaber Stadium, so he will not hesitate in submitting the fifth grilling motion as he has nothing in mind but to serve the interests of Kuwait.
Meanwhile, the Asian Football Federation said Friday Kuwait would not take part in qualifiers for the 2019 Asian Cup in the United Arab Emirates due to their international sports ban. In a letter to the Kuwait Football Association, AFC said Kuwait had been replaced by Macau as the deadline of Jan 11 had passed with no change in Kuwait’s FIFA suspension. “Following the conclusion of the FIFA Council meeting held on Jan 9-10, 2017, we regret to note that there has been no change to the status of the Kuwait Football Association,” said the letter.
World sports bodies led by the International Olympic Committee and football’s governing body FIFA suspended Kuwait in October 2015 for the second time since 2010 over alleged government meddling in sports. Kuwait’s public sports authority had on Dec 23 written to the IOC and FIFA urging them to “lift the ban on Kuwaiti sports activities temporarily until relevant local laws are revised”.
The IOC rejected Kuwait’s request. In another development, MP Waleed Al-Tabtabaei has forwarded questions to Finance Minister Anas Saleh on the delayed implementation of the metro and railway projects. He pointed out these projects are important as they will greatly contribute to ongoing efforts to address traffic problems, while it is considered a competitor of other development projects in the Gulf. He disclosed that he decided to submit questions to the minister due to the decision of the Council of Ministers to present these projects again to the Public Authority for Public and Private Sectors Partnership Projects. He requested for a copy of the feasibility studies on these projects, in addition to other information such as the companies which expressed interest in both projects, date of bidding, period of implementation and target date of completion.
By Abubakar A. Ibrahim Arab Times Staff and Agencies