Landlord is asking me to bear half the cost to install a new compressor for central AC

I have been living in the same flat for over 12 years. Recently the compressor of the central A/C stopped working. The landlord is asking me to bear half the cost to install a new compressor. The rent is KD 240 and he wants to increase it to KD 300.

My contract will be renewed next year. Can he do this?

The building & the central A/C belong to him & not me.

Can you explain what is the law in this case.

Can I pay the rent in court and if I pay the rent in court will they tell the landlord to fix the compressor ASAP.

Also I would like know that in case I decide to shift to another building can the landlord stop me by telling me to repair his A/C first.

Name withheld
Answer: You can’t be made to pay for anything which is not in your flat. All such repairs have to be carried out by the landlord. If there is a problem with the repairs you have to approach the Municipality (Baladiya) and file a complaint.

The Municipality will ensure that all the repairs are carried out. On the rent issue, the landlord has the right to increase the rent by a maximum of 100 per cent. So, if it has been 5 years since the last increase, the landlord has the right to increase the rent. If the last rent increase took less than 5 years ago, then you can approach the Rents Court.

This court will then decide whether the increase is justified or not. It can also decide the amount of the increase. For the duration of the problem, you can deposit the rent with the court by the 20th of each month.

Send your queries to or

Check Also

Number of empty apartments increases from 20,000 to 37,000

KUWAIT CITY, May 30: With the fast-approaching summer and holiday seasons, the number of empty …

Translate »