------------- -------------- ------------------- -------------------
Sunday , February 23 2020

Iran tanker heads for Greece

EU WELCOMES BID TO LOWER HORMUZ TENSION

Renamed Adrian Darya 1 supertanker hosting an Iranian flag is seen on the waters in the British territory of Gibraltar on Aug 18. Authorities in Gibraltar on Sunday rejected the United States’ latest request not to release a seized Iranian supertanker, clearing the way for the vessel to set sail after being detained last month for allegedly attempting to breach European Union sanctions on Syria. (AP)

DUBAI, Aug 19, (Agencies): An Iranian tanker at the centre of an angry confrontation between Iran and Washington sailed for Greece on Monday after it was freed from detention off Gibraltar, as Tehran said any US move to seize the vessel again would have “heavy consequences”.

While Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif appeared to downplay the possibility of military confl ict with Washington in an interview on US television, he also indicated on a visit to Finland that Washington was seeking “more escalation”. The Grace 1, renamed the Adrian Darya 1, left anchorage off Gibraltar about 11:00 pm (2100 GMT) on Sunday. Refinitiv ship tracking data showed on Monday that the vessel was heading to Kalamata in Greece and was scheduled to arrive next Sunday at 0000 GMT. The European Union Monday welcomed efforts to de-escalate tensions in the Strait of Hormuz after the authorities in Gibraltar released Sunday an Iranian oil tanker.

“We take note of the decision of the government of Gibraltar. We welcome all efforts to de-escalate tensions in the region,” an EU spokesperson for foreign affairs Carlos Martin Ruiz de Gordejuela told a news conference. “We are following developments very closely. We are in regular contacts with the countries in the region to de-escalate the situation and seek ways to contribute to confidence building,” he said.

Discussions are continuing on a solution to help increase maritime security in the Strait of Hormuz, he said, adding that it would be unwise at this stage to speculate on the tools and means for such a solution. Asked to comment on 3 media reports that Germany has proposed to dispatch a European naval mission to the Strait of Hormuz, the spokesman replied that he was not aware of this proposal.

The seizure of the tanker by British Royal Marines near Gibraltar in July 4 on suspicion of carrying oil to Syria in violation of European Union sanctions led to a weeks-long confrontation between Tehran and the West. It also heightened tensions on international oil shipping routes through the Gulf. Gibraltar, a British overseas territory, lifted the detention order on Thursday but the next day a federal court in Washington issued a warrant for the seizure of the tanker, the oil it carries and nearly $1 million.

Gibraltar said on Sunday it could not comply with that request because it was bound by EU law. Washington wanted to detain the tanker on the grounds that it had links to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), which it has designated a terrorist organisation. “We are happy this ordeal has ended and I hope this will lead to less escalation,” Zarif said while visiting Finland. He also said the US warrant had no legal basis and was politically motivated to “make more escalation”.

But in an interview with the American NBC network Zarif said that Iran would not take military action to end its standoff with its longtime adversary. “We will not. We have never done that, in the past 250 years. We have defended ourselves. And we have taught good lessons to those who invaded us,” Zarif said. He also appeared to downplay the possibility of US military action against the Islamic Republic in the interview, saying the US habit of saying “No option is off the table” in its approach to Iran was a violation of the UN Charter.

Greek authorities had no immediate comment on the situation. Iran said on Monday any US attempt to seize the tanker would have “heavy consequences”. Asked whether the United States could renew its seizure request after the tanker sailed from Gibraltar, Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said: “Such an action, and even the talk of it … would endanger shipping safety in open seas.” “Iran has issued the necessary warnings through offi- cial channels, especially the Swiss embassy, to American officials not to commit such an error because it would have heavy consequences,” Mousavi said in remarks on state television. Switzerland represents US interests in Iran, which has no diplomatic relations with the United States.

The Adrian Darya 1, which was re-fl agged to Iran after being de-listed by Panama on May 29, was fully laden and carrying about 2 million barrels of oil, Refinitiv data showed. The cargo was valued at tens of millions of dollars. US President Donald Trump pulled out of a 2015 nuclear deal with Iran in May last year, while the European Union is still part of the accord, which allows Tehran to sell its oil.

Check Also

Up to 34 US services members diagnosed with concussions, TBI from Iran missile attack – Pentagon

WASHINGTON, Jan 24 (KUNA) — The Pentagon confirmed Friday that 34 American service members have …

Translate »