Saturday , October 21 2017

Hundreds flee Mosul fighting – IS ambush kills 10 Iraqi forces: commanders

This file handout picture released by the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) on Sept 24, 2014 shows Saudi Arabian air force pilot, Prince Khalid bin Salman, as he sits in the cockpit of a fighter jet at an undisclosed location, after taking part in a mission to strike Islamic State (IS) group targets in Syria. Prince Khaled bin Salman, son of current King Salman, was named by Saudi Arabia on April 22, 2017 as ambassador to its major ally the United States in Washington, with which ties are improving under President Donald Trump. (AFP)

MOSUL, Iraq, April 23, (RTRS): Heavy two-way traffic of carts carrying children, clothes, and the elderly crowded the main Baghdad-Mosul road on Sunday as hundreds of Iraqis fled heavy fighting or made their way back to areas seized back from Islamic State.

Families paid no heed to the sound of heavy mortar, artillery and machine gun fire raging in the background as US-trained Iraqi forces battled Islamic State some two km.(about a mile) away.

Some had walked miles to a government checkpoint where the men were placed in army trucks and sent for security screening to ensure no militant sleeper cells get out of the city. Women and children were put on busses and sent to camps housing hundreds of thousands, some displaced since the offensive to retake the Islamic State stronghold began in October.

“We left because of darkness, hunger, and death. There are bullets and air strikes. We were injured, our children were injured,” said Younnes Ahmed, who was fleeing al-Thaura district with his family, their clothes all piled on a cart. There was a deep bullet wound on his hand.

A group of young men further inside the city sat on the street as soldiers gave them back identification cards they had taken to conduct background checks before letting them go.

Most houses were reduced to rubble, either because of air strikes or Islamic State bombs. Cars were hollowed out.

“Islamic State blew up my house with TNT to shield against air strikes,” said Hossam Saleh who now lives in rubble because he has nowhere to escape to.

Others were walking back into the city, eager to reclaim their homes after their neighbourhoods had been retaken from Islamic State by US-backed security forces.

“We left because of the air strikes but have now returned. But we want the government to restore services like electricity and water and to allow us to drive instead of using carts,” said Mosaab Mohamed who was walking back into Mosul with his family.

Iraqi forces have taken much of Mosul from the militants who overran the city in June 2014. The military now controls the eastern districts and are making advances in the west.

Islamic State fighters, holding out in the Old City, are surrounded in the northwest and are using booby traps, sniper and mortar fire to defend themselves.

Three policemen were killed in a suicide attack south of Mosul. A group of about 10 assailants, including four suicide bombers, had tried to infiltrate a Federal Police helicopter base in Al-Areej, a police captain told Reuters.

Those who have returned say the government has been slow to restore services even to western districts that had been retaken a while ago.

“We are besieged in the Resala area. There are stray bullets from other areas where there is fighting; three children have died,” said Mohamed Sobhi.

“Water and aid cannot reach us. I call on the government to redistribute the people in areas like ours into other safer areas in Mosul.”

Hundreds of thousands of civilians are still trapped in western Mosul, where Iraqi forces are making slow progress against Islamic State in what is a labyrinth of narrow streets.

Meanwhile, three policemen were killed on Sunday in a suicide attack south of Mosul, the northern Iraqi city where Islamic State is fighting off a US-backed offensive, security sources said.

A group of about 10 assailants, including four suicide bombers, had tried to infiltrate a Federal Police helicopter base in Al-Areej, a police captain told Reuters.

Three policemen and three of the assailants were killed in the attack, he said. Police gave chase but the assailants managed to escape, he said.

Islamic State’s Amaq news agency said the attack was carried out by two members who detonated their explosive vests after running out of ammunition.

It is the first major attack targeting government forces in this area since those forces took it back in February, four months after launching an offensive on Mosul.

Also:

HABBANIYAH: Islamic State group fighters disguised as soldiers ambushed a government convoy in a remote desert region of western Iraq Sunday, killing 10 members of the security forces, commanders said.

“DAESH (IS) members armed with assault rifles and rocket launchers attacked civilian and military vehicles carrying soldiers near Rutba,” an army lieutenant colonel said. “They killed at least 10 and wounded 20,” he told AFP. Other officials confirmed the attack and the casualty toll.

Check Also

Islamic State claims Yemen suicide attack

CAIRO, Dec 18 (Reuters) – Islamic State claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing on Sunday …

Translate »