German police detained six men on Monday suspected of forming a far-right militant organisation which assaulted foreigners in the eastern city of Chemnitz and planned attacks on politicians and civil servants, the GBA federal prosecutor’s office said. Some 100 policemen backed by special commando units detained the six suspects aged 20 to 30, acting on warrants issued by the Federal Court of Justice on Sept. 28, the prosecutor said.
The men are accused of forming “Revolution Chemnitz”, an organisation named after the city where the fatal stabbing of a German man blamed on migrants in August prompted the worst far-right violence in Germany in decades. “Based on the information we have so far, the suspects belong to the hooligan, skinhead and neo-Nazi scene in the area of Chemnitz and considered themselves leading figures in the right-wing extremist scene in Saxony,” prosecutors said.
The group had planned to attack senior civil servants and politicians, they said. The men were arrested in the state of Saxony, where Chemnitz lies, and the southern region of Bavaria. “In the course of further investigations we encountered tangible indications that the organisation pursued terrorist goals.” The GBA said the group had also planned to acquire semi-automatic rifles.
Five of the suspects attacked and injured foreigners in Chemnitz on Sept 14 using glass bottles, steel knuckle gloves, and tasers, it added. The group had planned to carry out another attack on Oct. 3, the GBA said, giving no further details.
The violence in Chemnitz, where skinheads hounded migrants and performed the illegal Hitler salute in August, exposed deep divisions over Chancellor Angela Merkel’s decision in 2015 to welcome almost one million, mostly Muslim asylum seekers. (RTRS)