KUWAIT CITY, March 17: “We are managing the crisis as long as it takes”, said His Highness the Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Sabah on Tuesday. His Highness’ remark came during his meeting with senior commanders at the Ministry of Defense; spearheaded by Deputy Premier and Defense Minister Sheikh Ahmad Mansour Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah. His Highness Sheikh Sabah Al-Khaled, during the meeting, conveyed greetings of His Highness the Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah; Commander- in-Chief of the Armed Forces, as well as salutations of His Highness the Crown Prince Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah for the Forces’ “great” technical and logistic support in the ongoing ‘battle’ against the global spread of the coronavirus, mainly the Air Force. “The Defense Ministry has been an integral part of the state’s emergency plan, since day one,”
His Highness pointed out, stressing that the current crisis requires “solidarity and understanding from all regarding countermeasures being taken.” His Highness also appreciated contributions and cooperation of the private sector in the ongoing efforts to contain the spread of the virus. He also highly commended the thousands of young Kuwaitis who flocked centers to volunteer and help the state, which proved what they are made of.
His Highness the Premier concluded by reiterating the dire need to abide by all precautionary measures the State of Kuwait is implementing in order to sufficiently encounter the pandemic. At the start of the meeting, Deputy Premier and Defense Minister Sheikh Ahmad Mansour Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah briefed His Highness the Premier with the ministry’s efforts and collaborations with other state bodies in the fight against COVID-19’s further spread.
No decision has been made to impose a nationwide curfew, said Government Spokesman Tareq Al-Mezrem on Tuesday. “A decision (on curfew) is contingent upon the compliance of citizens and residents with the guidelines of health authorities,” Al-Mezrem said on twitter. Earlier in the day, National Assembly Speaker Marzouq Al-Ghanim urged all citizens and residents to stick to government decrees, mainly averting gatherings, to stave off coronavirus outbreak
Seven new cases, 7 cleared of virus
Seven new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID- 19) were discovered in Kuwait within the last 24 hours, bringing the total of infections to 130, said the Health Ministry Tuesday. In a press conference, Health Ministry Spokesman Dr Abdullah Al-Sanad revealed that all newly announced cases were for Kuwaiti citizens returning from the UK.
Out of the 130 in total, 12 cases recovered and 118 are still receiving treatment, he pointed out. The Spokesman for the Ministry of Health said seven persons have completed the mandatory quarantine of the novel coronavirus in Khairan resort.
The figure takes to 571 the number of those who underwent the preventive procedure and were proven clear of the virus in Kuwait, Al-Sanad told KUNA.