------------- --------------
Sunday , October 20 2019

Embassy in Sudan ready to aid Kuwaitis

KHARTOUM, April 13, (Agencies): Kuwaiti embassy in Sudan confirmed on Saturday its commitment to carry out its duties to serve Kuwaiti citizens and to protect their interests. In a press statement, the embassy assured its readiness to help all Kuwaiti citizens in Sudan. The statement was issued after reports circulated in some social media, which highlighted a voice recording of a Kuwaiti citizen claiming that the embassy did not perform its duties in getting him, and a group of Kuwaiti citizens, back to the country after the prevailing conditions there. “We were surprised to receive a call from an official from the embassy of Saudi Arabia informing as of the presence of Kuwaiti citizens there. In return, the embassy contacted the citizens to find out why they did not go directly to it and issued the voice recording.

Abide
The embassy stressed the need for Kuwaiti citizens to abide by the warning issued by the Foreign Ministry earlier to avoid traveling to Sudan at the current time. Meanwhile, Sudan Embassy in Kuwait has regretted the “inappropriate conduct” of two nationals who removed and then smashed a framed photo of former president Omar al- Bashir from the embassy’s reception hall. In a press statement on Thursday, the embassy censured the act and urged nationals to ensure safety of public properties and respect laws of the hosting country (Kuwait).

It also thanked Kuwaiti police for rushing to provide protection to the embassy building after the new developments in Sudan. It dismissed as untrue claims that the incident took place in the Kuwaiti embassy in Khartoum. The new head of Sudan’s military council said on Saturday a civilian government would be formed after consultations with the opposition and the transition period would last for a maximum of two years, as protesters kept up pressure for rapid change. In his first televised address, Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan Abdelrahman said he was also cancelling a night curfew ordered by his predecessor and ordered the release of all prisoners jailed under emergency laws ordered by ousted President Omar al-Bashir. Bashir was overthrown on Thursday after weeks of mass protests brought on by rising food costs, high unemployment and increasing repression during his three decades in power.

Protest organisers had earlier on Saturday urged people to keep marching to demand a civilian government after the defence minister and the intelligence chief stepped down. Thousands of people gathered in front of the Defence Ministry in central Khartoum, a Reuters witness said. Salah Abdallah Mohamed Saleh, known as Salah Gosh, the former head of the National Intelligence and Security Service quit on Saturday. He was once the most influential person in the country after Bashir and protesters held him responsible for the killing of demonstrators demanding an end to military rule.

Check Also

Bashir’s fall, fall of Sudan

Ahmed Al-Jarallah Editor-in-Chief, the Arab Times THE Middle East and Africa are unable to break …

Translate »