KUWAIT, March 12 : Two more people have died after testing positive for coronavirus, bringing the total number of UK deaths to 10.
There are now 596 confirmed cases in the UK on Thursday with 491 in England, 60 in Scotland, 20 in Northern Ireland and 25 in Wales.
The new confirmed cases come as the government is expected to announce within hours that it is stepping up its coronavirus response.
It is anticipated the UK will switch to tactics aimed at delaying its spread, rather than containing it.
Meanwhile, Spain announced that the number of deaths due to “Coronavirus, Covid-19, has risen to 86 after 22 new deaths were recorded, with the number of infections increasing to 2,968.
Spanish health ministry said in a statement carried by official Spanish television that this rise comes at a time when 189 people in various Spanish regions have recovered.
Madrid government has taken a set of preventive measures, including the closure of schools, universities, theaters and recreational centers for the elderly, the suspension of all cultural activities, as well as any activities where more than 1,000 people gather, while cultural centers and museums closed their doors and canceled all their activities for at least two weeks.
On another front, Luxembourg reported a sharp increase in people infected with the COVID-19 virus with 12 new infections, raising the total to 19, local media reported.
Two of the new patients were infected within Luxembourg rather than while travelling abroad whereas all previous cases had been people travelling in from abroad, according to the Luxembourg Times.
European Union institutions and companies across Luxembourg have told staff to work from home to curb the spread of the potentially lethal disease, it noted.
Meanwhile, there are 111 new confirmed COVID-19 patients in the Netherlands which brings the total number of positive tests to 614.
102 of the reported patients are healthcare workers, the Dutch National Institute for Public health and the Environment reported Thursday.
Of the 614 cases, 273 live in the province of Noord-Brabant and 80 in the province of Utrecht. In addition, 68 live in Zuid-Holland, 53 in Limburg and 48 in Gelderland.
239 of the 614 persons were infected abroad. For 123 people the source is still under investigation. The majority of patients with an unknown source of infection live in Noord-Brabant, it noted.
Furthermore, Austria authorities said 59 cases of coronavirus were confirmed today, bringing the total number in the country to 361.
Austria Health ministry said in a report that 5,869 lab tests were conducted in various areas of the country, and four previously cases have recovered, with one fatality.
Earlier, the Austrian government also took preventive measures in shutting down schools and public gatherings of more than 100 people, in addition to other stricks measures. (KUNA)