Friday , November 24 2017

2 get 17 years in Bhutto’s murder trial – Musharraf ‘fugitive’: Court

A family member of a missing person participates in a rally demanding information about missing people who were reportedly picked up by security agencies during anti al-Qaeda raids, in Islamabad, Pakistan, on Aug 30. Scores of family members of the missing families joined civil society members and human rights activists on the occasion of the ‘International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances.’ (AP)

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan, Aug 31, (Agencies): A Pakistani court Thursday branded former military ruler Pervez Musharraf a fugitive in ex-prime minister Benazir Bhutto’s murder trial, but acquitted five men accused of being involved in the 2007 assassination.

The verdicts are the first to be issued since Bhutto, the first female prime minister of a Muslim country, was killed in a gun and suicide bomb attack nearly a decade ago, sparking street violence and plunging Pakistan into months of political turmoil. Former president and military ruler Musharraf is alleged to have been part of a broad conspiracy to have his political rival killed before elections. He has denied the allegation.

Charged
He was charged with murder, criminal conspiracy for murder, and facilitation for murder in 2013, in an unprecedented move against an exarmy chief, challenging beliefs the military is immune from prosecution. But he has been in self-imposed exile in Dubai ever since a travel ban was lifted three years later. The anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi ruled he had “absconded”, a court official told reporters outside, saying it had also ordered the confiscation of his property. “There will be no justice till Pervez Musharraf answers for his crimes!” Bhutto’s daughter Aseefa Zardari tweeted moments after the statement.

The court also acquitted five men who had been accused of being Taleban militants involved in the conspiracy to kill Bhutto on Dec 27, 2007. They were set to walk free nearly 10 years after they were first arrested, though a defence lawyer said it was not yet clear when they would be released. However the judges found two police officers guilty of “mishandling the crime scene”, the court official said. The police officers — Saud Aziz, who was chief of Rawalpindi police at the time, and senior officer Khurram Shahzad — are now the only two people to have been convicted over Bhutto’s assassination. Shahzad was accused of hosing down the crime scene less than two hours after the killing — an act the United Nations described in a report as “fundamentally inconsistent with Pakistani police practice”.

Aziz was accused of both giving Shahzad permission to hose down the scene, and of refusing multiple times to allow an autopsy of Bhutto’s body to go ahead. They were each sentenced to 10 years imprisonment on one count and seven on another, with the sentences to run concurrently, and fined 500,000 rupees ($4,700), according to a court order.

Musharraf’s government blamed the assassination on Pakistani Taleban chief Baitullah Mehsud, who denied any involvement. He was killed in a US drone attack in 2009. In 2010, the UN report accused Musharraf’s government of failing to give Bhutto adequate protection and said her death could have been prevented. The unanswered questions surrounding the case prompted a swirl of conspiracy theories. Rashid A. Rizvi, president of the Supreme Court Bar Association, alluded to them Thursday when he noted that the acquittals were “as much a conspiracy as her murder was”. The judgement, political analyst Hasan Askari told AFP, was unlikely to offer any clarity as it “has failed to answer the question of who actually murdered her”.

Check Also

‘Work with Pakistan one more time’ – US troop boost to cost $1b

WASHINGTON, Oct 4, (Agencies): The US military’s top leaders told lawmakers Tuesday that the thousands …

Translate »