KUWAIT CITY, Oct 30, (KUNA): The 13th Asian Shooting Championship (Quota Distribution for RIO 2016 Olympics) will be held in Kuwait as previously decided, President of Kuwait and Arab Shooting Federations Eng Duaij Khalaf Al-Otaibi said on Friday.
The distribution of the qualifying seats for the Brazil 2016 Olympics is up to Kuwait that was selected to host the tourney four years ago, Al-Otaibi, also head of the higher organizer committee of the Asian Championship, added in a press statement.
He stressed that the Kuwait Shooting Federation upholds its right regarding distribution of the qualifying cards for the 2016 Olympics during the Asian tournament.
Al-Otaibi voiced the organizer committee’s rejection of the “unjust, hasty and illegal decision by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), and the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF), only 24 hours before the start of the 13th Asian Championship after all arrangements were made.
Today, there are 500 shooters and executives from 20 countries in Kuwait, in addition to other 16 states that have already made hotel and travel arrangements for their delegations. Total participants in the Asian event reach 1,200 athletes.
Al-Otaibi held the IOC and the ISSF responsible for the decision, saying that the organizer committee would take the necessary legal procedures to maintain participant athletes’ rights through international legal channels.
The Public Authority for Sport had rejected the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) “unjust” suspension of Kuwait Olympic Committee (KOC), a decision that “plotted inside Kuwait” and aimed at undermining Kuwait’s sovereignty, it said.