22/05/2026
22/05/2026
WASHINGTON / DUBAI, May 22: US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Friday that no country should accept any Iranian tolling system in the Strait of Hormuz, warning that such a move would be unacceptable for the international community. Speaking ahead of a NATO meeting in Helsingborg, Rubio said there had been “slight progress” regarding Iran but stressed that the strategic waterway must remain open and accessible without restrictions. He also emphasized the need for NATO allies to have a clear understanding of mutual expectations ahead of the alliance’s upcoming leaders’ summit in Ankara later this year.
Meanwhile, senior UAE presidential adviser Anwar Gargash warned that any Iranian control over the Strait of Hormuz would create a “serious precedent” and risk politicization by Tehran. Gargash said any disruption or change in the waterway would have major global consequences, particularly for Europe due to its importance to energy supplies and international trade. He added that the UAE views Iran’s nuclear program as its primary regional concern and cautioned that another confrontation between the United States and Iran would further destabilize the region.
Gargash said the UAE favors a diplomatic solution but warned against agreements that could create future complications. He also described the relationship between Gulf countries and the United States as central to regional defense strategies. On energy policy, Gargash revealed that the UAE has been considering leaving OPEC for the past three years, arguing that production restrictions are limiting the country’s ability to maximize its oil capacity as it prepares for what he called “the autumn of the hydrocarbon age.”
