19/08/2026
19/08/2026
WASHINGTON, Aug 19: US President Donald Trump said Wednesday that Washington is considering further sanctions on Iran, while insisting that the Strait of Hormuz remains open and that the American naval blockade has been "extremely effective."
"We have things that we could sanction. We have very draconian sanctions, and we'll see what happens," Trump told reporters at the White House.
The president claimed no vessels had entered Iran while the blockade was in force, although ships were continuing to reach other destinations.
"The blockade has been 100% successful. No boats have gotten into Iran, but they are getting in for other places," he said.
Strait of Hormuz 'Open'Trump said traffic through the vital waterway was continuing, though he acknowledged it could ease in the future.
"Right now, the Strait is open. A lot of boats are coming through," he said, adding that traffic "may slow down a little bit at some point."
The president also suggested the Strait of Hormuz could become less important to global energy markets as alternative oil supplies and pipelines expand in the United States and elsewhere.
Harsher Measures SignalledTrump's remarks follow comments by Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, who told Newsmax last week that Washington would apply measures against Iran that had "never been seen."
The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world's most critical energy chokepoints, through which a significant share of global oil shipments passes.
