Tuesday, May 19, 2026
 
search-icon

Trump says US may need to strike Iran again, warns action could come within days

publish time

19/05/2026

publish time

19/05/2026

Trump says US may need to strike Iran again, warns action could come within days

WASHINGTON, May 19: US President Donald Trump has said the United States may still need to carry out further strikes against Iran, claiming he was “an hour away” from authorising a military attack before postponing the decision.

Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump said he had been close to approving a strike but held back at the last moment. He also claimed that Iranian leaders were seeking negotiations and “begging to make a deal,” while warning that a new US attack could still be launched in the coming days if no agreement is reached.

Trump suggested that any potential action could come within a “two or three day” window, possibly as early as the weekend or early next week, stressing that the United States could not allow Iran to develop a nuclear weapon.

In related remarks, Trump also alleged that Chinese President Xi Jinping had assured him during a recent bilateral meeting that China would not supply weapons or military equipment to Iran.

Meanwhile, US Vice President JD Vance said Washington’s goal goes beyond preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons, adding that the US wants a longer-term framework to ensure Tehran cannot rebuild its nuclear capability in the future. He warned that an Iranian nuclear weapon could trigger a wider global arms race, making the world significantly less safe if other countries begin seeking nuclear arms in response.