20/08/2026
20/08/2026
LONDON, Aug 20: A tanker has been hijacked in the Gulf of Aden after six armed men boarded the vessel and took control of it, according to the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO).
UKMTO said in an advisory issued Thursday that it received a report of an incident approximately 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla, Yemen.
The tanker had earlier broadcast a distress call on VHF Channel 16, reporting that it had been approached by an unauthorized vessel while sailing westward in the Gulf of Aden.
In an update, UKMTO said it had received confirmation that six armed persons had boarded the tanker and were now in control of the vessel. The tanker was subsequently redirected toward Somalia.
The incident has been classified as a hijacking, with military authorities investigating.
UKMTO advised vessels operating in the area to transit with caution and report any suspicious activity to the maritime security agency.
The latest incident comes amid a series of maritime security incidents and hijackings reported in the waters around Somalia and the Gulf of Aden in recent months. UKMTO maintains a voluntary reporting system for commercial vessels operating in the region.
