23/05/2026
23/05/2026
NEW DELHI, May 23: US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Saturday that “some progress” had been made in talks involving Iran, but cautioned that no breakthrough was guaranteed, adding that developments could emerge later in the day.
Speaking to reporters in New Delhi, Rubio said ongoing discussions were continuing behind the scenes and that there was “a chance” of an announcement in the coming days.
“There may be news later today. I don’t have news at this very moment, but there might be some news a little later today,” Rubio said. “There may not be. I hope there will be, but I’m not sure yet.”
He added that “some progress” had been achieved and that efforts were still underway even as he addressed reporters, stressing that the issue “needs to be solved, as the president said, one way or another.”
Meanwhile, Pakistan said talks held in Iran had made “encouraging progress” toward reaching a final understanding.
In a statement issued on Saturday, Pakistan’s army said Syed Asim Munir had concluded a “highly productive” visit to Iran, where discussions with senior Iranian officials focused on supporting regional peace and stability.
“Negotiations over the last twenty-four hours have resulted in encouraging progress towards a final understanding,” the statement said after the Pakistani army chief and interior minister departed Tehran earlier in the day.
The statement added that consultations centered on expediting diplomatic efforts aimed at maintaining peace and stability in the region.
