Wednesday, August 19, 2026
 
search-icon
search-icon
close-icon

NATO Says Prepared to Address Any Threat Amid Reports of Potential Iran Strikes

publish time

19/08/2026

publish time

19/08/2026

NATO Says Prepared to Address Any Threat Amid Reports of Potential Iran Strikes
Add as Preferred Source on Google

BRUSSELS, Aug 19: NATO said Wednesday it is prepared to respond to any threat and will take necessary measures to defend its members amid reports that Iran has considered potential strikes against US military assets in southeastern Europe.

“NATO is prepared to address any threat and will always do what is necessary to defend all Allies,” a NATO official told Anadolu in a written statement.

The alliance pointed to its air-defense capabilities, recalling that NATO systems intercepted ballistic missiles heading toward Türkiye from Iran on four separate occasions earlier this year.

“As demonstrated earlier this year when NATO air defences successfully intercepted ballistic missiles heading to Türkiye from Iran on four separate occasions, our deterrence and defence posture is strong and effective,” the official said.

The statement followed reports that Iranian forces had assessed possible strikes against US military facilities in southeastern European countries, including Bulgaria. Sofia last month approved the use of its Bezmer air base by US refueling aircraft.

Cyprus has also reportedly been considered a potential target. A British air base on the island was struck by a drone in March.

The reports come amid stalled efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and growing uncertainty over the resumption of US-Iran negotiations. US President Donald Trump said Tuesday that there were “no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled” with Tehran.

Iranian military officials have previously warned that any military base used to launch attacks against Iranian territory could be considered a legitimate target.

Iran and the US signed a memorandum of understanding in June aimed at ending the conflict and paving the way for a broader agreement. However, the arrangement later broke down amid mutual accusations of violations and renewed hostilities.

Diplomatic efforts have since failed to produce a breakthrough on reopening the Strait of Hormuz or restarting negotiations toward a broader agreement