Tuesday, August 18, 2026
 
search-icon
search-icon
close-icon

Iran-France Tensions Rise as Tehran Expels Two French Diplomats

publish time

18/08/2026

publish time

18/08/2026

Iran-France Tensions Rise as Tehran Expels Two French Diplomats
Add as Preferred Source on Google

TEHRAN, Aug 18: Iran has declared two French diplomats persona non grata and barred them from entering the country over alleged “illegal activities,” the Iranian Foreign Ministry said Tuesday.

The diplomats, who work at the French Embassy in Tehran, were accused of engaging in activities and conduct that Iran said violated international law, including the 1961 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.

According to the ministry, the decision was taken several weeks after the alleged activities were uncovered. It also accused the French government of failing to take measures to prevent similar incidents from happening again.

Iran’s Intelligence Ministry said on August 15 that two French diplomats had been detained at the site of a secret meeting during an investigation linked to national security.

The ministry alleged that documents and other materials discovered at the location pointed to a broader plan aimed at building influence inside Iran.

It further claimed that some of the documents found at the site carried the signature of a former French ambassador to Tehran.