16/02/2026
16/02/2026
KUWAIT CITY, Feb 16: First Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior Sheikh Fahd Al-Yousef has announced a series of sweeping measures aimed at regulating the labor market, tightening enforcement against violations, and facilitating procedures for compliant employers.
Speaking during a dialogue meeting with private sector representatives, Al-Yousef stressed that strict penalties will be imposed in cases of labor law violations, particularly where workers are found to be employed illegally or working for sponsors other than their registered employers. He said company owners will be fully responsible for their workers, warning that violations could result in criminal action.
At the same time, he directed authorities to streamline procedures for employers and introduce a dedicated communication service to respond to inquiries and facilitate transactions. He emphasized the importance of ensuring salary deposits and safeguarding workers’ rights to protect Kuwait’s international reputation.
Among the key reforms announced was the opening of residency permits under a new “freelancers” category, with fees ranging between KD 750 and KD 1,000, payable to the government. The move aims to combat visa trading and is expected to be implemented within two months. Al-Yousef also revealed that 39,000 illegal workers were deported last year as part of intensified inspection campaigns.
The minister confirmed there is no objection to reopening the family visa/ Dependent visa for children under 18 for single parents. He added that amendments will be introduced to ensure driver’s licenses are granted equally to university graduates and non-graduates. The employment of national workers in the private sector will also be prioritized and discussed at the Cabinet level.
Addressing public safety concerns, Al-Yousef announced the closure of nine nurseries following the death of a child at an unlicensed facility employing illegal workers. He said further inspections are underway, including crackdowns on delivery app companies and health institutes found in violation of residency and labor laws. He also disclosed upcoming measures to regulate subcontracting arrangements involving foreign entities.
To reduce electricity loads during the summer, he said, authorities are studying plans to suspend certain factory activities during specified hours in the coming period.
For her part, Director General of the Public Authority for Manpower Rabab Al-Osaimi said the Authority has processed 25 million transactions since 2018, including 15 million completed through automated systems. She noted ongoing efforts to enhance digital integration with government entities, including coordination with the Ministry of Interior on salary deposit monitoring.
Al-Osaimi added that inspection plans are being continuously updated, and weekly service improvements are being implemented. She revealed that amendments to the labor law are under study, with workshops planned to gather input from stakeholders, while maintaining the strengths of the current legislation.
She further disclosed a study project to allow the transfer of workers between contracts regardless of the type of contract under which they were recruited, pending approval from the First Deputy Prime Minister.