This post has been read 22498 times!
PARIS, Sept 25: France will continue to pressure China over its treatment of the Uighur Muslim minority and will persist in bringing this issue up in bilateral and international forums, the Foreign Ministry said Friday.
“We have indeed spoken out on several occasions, including with our partners in the European Union, to strongly condemn this unacceptable situation,” Spokeswoman for the ministry Agnes Von der Muhll said in a briefing.
China is accused of rounding up Uighurs and placing them in re-education camps and depriving them of basis rights.
“We called for the closure of the internment camps in Xinjiang (Province) and the sending of an international mission of independent observers, under the supervision of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, Michelle Bachelet, to investigate on the spot and report the facts objectively,” the French official indicated.
She also pointed out that President Emmanuel Macron had reiterated this request during his address to the United Nations General Assembly earlier this week.
“France will remain mobilized, within the framework of its bilateral contacts with the Chinese authorities and in United Nations forums, in particular in front of the Human Rights Council,” Von der Muhll added. (KUNA)