Court rules Dashti ‘in’ – Five more quit

This news has been read 8400 times!

KUWAIT CITY, Nov 3: The Administrative Court on Thursday cancelled the decision of the Interior Ministry to disqualify First Constituency candidate and former MP Abdul Hameed Dashti, Third Constituency candidate and former MP Safa Al-Hashem, and Fifth Constituency candidate Sheikh Malik Al-Hamoud Al-Sabah.

Earlier on Wednesday, the Fast Track Court obliged the ministry to reinstate Fifth Constituency candidate Manei Al-Ajmi and Fourth Constituency candidate Fawaz Al-Juwaie.

This came after the Electoral Commission for National Assembly elections on Tuesday disqualified 46 parliamentary hopefuls for failure to meet certain conditions. The concerned candidates later challenged the ministry’s decision through the Administrative Court which ordered their reinstatement.

Commenting on the issue, Dashti stressed that the right to litigate is guaranteed at all levels and the First Instance Court stopped the exploitation of candidates through disqualification which contravenes the Constitution so the affected candidates have been reinstated. He called for the intervention of HH the Prime Minister Sheikh Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Hamad Al-Sabah to stop the government from trying to upset the affected candidates considering the court reinstated them, asserting the executive authority’s action is a violation of the Constitution.

Meanwhile, Third Constituency candidate and former MP Shaye Al-Shaye said the value of Kuwaiti investments abroad ranges from $600 billion to $800 billion (more than KD 200 billion); so the country has no deficit. He pointed out the total earnings from these investments is equivalent to the State budget, excluding revenues from 5,800 fuel stations abroad.

 He added the youth sector is a major partner in national development; hence, the need to encourage youths to be involved in the political process.

 Speaking at Wednesday’s meeting of the Women Committee in his headquarters in Qortuba with many voters in attendance, Al-Shaye affirmed his support for competent young people. He said Kuwait has a lot of energetic youths who can greatly contribute to the growth of the nation, vowing to enact laws in their favor and give them a chance to prove their leadership capability if he wins in the elections. He concluded that God blessed Kuwait with productive youths who have great potential, but they must be given a chance to showcase their abilities.

In related news, a total of five candidates quit the electoral race on Thursday, the Ministry of Interior(MoI) announced, leaving a total of 391 candidates contesting parliamentary elections on Nov 26.

In a statement, the MoI’s Department of Election Affairs noted that Raed Mubarak and Hani Boushehri have relinquished their candidacies in the First Constituency.

Meanwhile, in the Fourth Constituency, Ajail Al-Shimmeri and Fawaz Al-Enezi have quit the race, while one of the Fifth Constituency candidates, Qais Al-Shimmeri, has withdrawn.

As per election laws, candidates are permitted to drop out of the electoral race no later than a week before the date of elections.

The 2016 parliamentary elections are held according to Decree  No. 20/2012, amended by Law No. 42/2006 on re-organizing the electoral constituencies.

By Abubakar A. Ibrahim

Arab Times Staff and Agencies

This news has been read 8400 times!

Related Articles

Back to top button

Advt Blocker Detected

Kindly disable the Ad blocker

Verified by MonsterInsights