Tuesday, August 18, 2026
 
search-icon
search-icon
close-icon

Brazilian Football Legend Roberto Carlos Reportedly Converts to Islam

publish time

18/08/2026

publish time

18/08/2026

Add as Preferred Source on Google

São Paulo, Aug 18: Brazilian football legend and former Fenerbahçe star Roberto Carlos has reportedly converted to Islam in Brazil, according to a Turkish lawmaker who cited a prominent figure in the country’s Muslim community.

Ali Şahin, a lawmaker from Türkiye’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party), said he learned of Carlos’ reported conversion during a meeting with representatives of Brazil’s Muslim community in São Paulo.

According to Şahin, Sheikh Jihad Hammadeh, vice president and religious adviser of the National Association of Islamic Jurists (ANAJI), said Carlos had been in contact with him for some time and visited him about four weeks ago.

Hammadeh reportedly told Şahin that Carlos recited the shahada, the Islamic declaration of faith, during the visit and embraced Islam.

Şahin later shared the claim on social media after meeting Hammadeh and other representatives of Muslim organizations in Brazil. He congratulated Carlos and wished him and his family peace, health and prosperity.

Several representatives of Brazil’s Muslim community attended the meeting, including Islamic Charitable Youth League President Charif Neto, Pari Mosque Foundation President Omar Aref and representatives of ANAJI.

Carlos, 53, is widely regarded as one of the greatest left-backs in football history. He enjoyed a highly successful career with Real Madrid before joining Turkish club Fenerbahçe in 2007.

The reported conversion comes amid recent reports that Carlos also married Suhayla At Tohiri, a Moroccan-born football agent based in Spain.

Carlos has not publicly confirmed the reported conversion, and the claim currently remains based on statements attributed to representatives of Brazil’s Muslim community and the Turkish lawmaker.