Saturday, August 22, 2026
 
search-icon
search-icon
close-icon

12 Iranian-Backed Houthi Fighters Killed Amid Escalating Clashes with Yemeni Government Forces

publish time

22/08/2026

publish time

22/08/2026

12 Iranian-Backed Houthi Fighters Killed Amid Escalating Clashes with Yemeni Government Forces
US President Trump re-designates Yemen’s Houthi movement as foreign terrorist organization
Add as Preferred Source on Google

SANAA, Aug 22: The Yemeni Houthi group announced on Friday that 12 of its members, including four officers, have been killed amid a sharp military escalation with Yemeni government forces.

Houthi-run television Al-Masirah reported that funeral services were held for the slain service members across multiple locations, including the capital Sanaa and the provinces of Saada, Hajjah, Al-Mahwit, Dhamar, and Amran. Among the deceased were four officers, one of whom reportedly held the rank of brigadier general, according to the broadcaster.

Al-Masirah did not specify when, where, or under what circumstances the fighters were killed, nor did it disclose further operational details.

The announcement comes a day after the Yemeni army said it had conducted 81 military operations against Houthi positions within 24 hours. In a statement, the army said that field commanders and fighters from the group had been "neutralized," though it did not provide a specific casualty count.

The recent uptick in violence marks a significant breakdown in a relative lull that had prevailed in Yemen since 2022. That ceasefire followed nearly 12 years of devastating war between the internationally recognized Yemeni government—backed by a Saudi-led coalition—and the Iranian-backed Houthis, who seized control of Sanaa and large swathes of the country in 2014.

The renewed clashes raise concerns about a full-scale return to conflict in the war-torn nation, which has already suffered one of the world's worst humanitarian crises over the past decade.