10 dead as Russia presses forward with its offensive in northeastern Ukraine

This news has been read 484 times!

KYIV, Ukraine, May 19, (AP): At least 10 people were reported killed in attacks in Ukraine’s war-ravaged northeast on Sunday as Russia pushed ahead with its renewed offensive.
In the Kharkiv region, the focus of the offensive, regional Gov Oleh Syniehubov said five people were killed and 16 wounded in a Russian strike on the outskirts of the regional capital, also called Kharkiv.
He added that five more people were killed and nine wounded in an attack on the region’s Kupiansk district, southeast of the regional capital.
Russia’s Ministry of Defense said Sunday that its forces in the area were “continuing to advance into the depths of the enemy’s defense.” Ukraine’s General Staff said Russia had stepped up its attacks around Kharkiv and that the situation was “dynamic.”
Russia launched an offensive in the Kharkiv region late last week, significantly adding to the pressure on Ukraine’s outnumbered and outgunned forces which are waiting for delayed deliveries of crucial weapons and ammunition from Western partners. Ukraine’s overstretched forces are trying to slow Russia on the new front by using bomb-laden drones to destroy military vehicles.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Friday during a visit to China that Moscow’s offensive in the Kharkiv region aims to create a buffer zone but that there are no plans to capture the city.
Meanwhile, Ukraine and Russia continued to exchange drone attacks.
Ukrainian air force officials said Sunday morning that air defenses shot down all 37 Russian drones launched against the country overnight.

This news has been read 484 times!

Related Articles

Back to top button

Advt Blocker Detected

Kindly disable the Ad blocker

Verified by MonsterInsights