Sunday , November 19 2017

Russian woman arrives in Kuwait to prove her innocence: attorney

Court acquits 5 of taking part in illegal gathering

KUWAIT CITY, May 18: The Criminal Court, headed by Counselor Mete’ab Ardi has set next Sunday for the first hearing into the $166 million embezzlement case, money said to be embezzled from the ports funds investments, reports Al-Jaridah daily.

Three people are involved in the case, including a Russian woman, who had already left the country after lifting the travel ban on her. Attorney Dr Yusuf Al-Harbash who is defending the Russian said his client has returned to the country to appear before the court to prove her innocence, contrary to reports that she had escaped from the country.

Al-Harbash said in a statement “my client returned of her own free will since she has been living in Kuwait for almost 15 years.” He pointed out, it was previously stated that the travel ban was lifted by a court verdict after a public hearing on Feb 7, and she was in the country until April 4, before leaving to follow up her work and visit her family. He added the return of his client confirms “what we have already said that the story of the escape promoted by some for their own interests or with whatever intention was nothing but a big lie.” He stressed his client insisted on returning to Kuwait to attend the court session because she is confi- dent of her legal position and trust in the Kuwaiti judiciary.

Meanwhile, the Criminal Court has acquitted five Kuwaitis from the charge of taking part in the illegal gathering at the Erada Square and assaulting securitymen, reports Al-Anba daily.

Translate »