De Gea keen to captain Man United
LAS VEGAS, July 23, (Agencies): Portuguese soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo will face no charges in Las Vegas in connection with a 10-year-old sexual assault allegation because the case cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, prosecutors said on Monday.
Ronaldo, who is widely regarded as one of the greatest soccer players of all time and plays for the Italian club Juventus, has maintained he is innocent.
Kathryn Mayorga filed a civil lawsuit in September 2018 in state court in Nevada accusing the athlete of raping her in a Las Vegas hotel penthouse suite in 2009, then paying her $375,000 in hush money.
A woman called Las Vegas police on June 13, 2009 to report that she had been sexually assaulted and police took her to the hospital for an examination, the Clark County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement on Monday. She declined to identify the person who she said assaulted her.
The statement did not identify the woman, but Mayorga’s civil lawsuit mirrors the allegation outlined by prosecutors.
“Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt,” the District Attorney’s Office said in a statement on Monday.
Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, reported to be on the verge of agreeing a six-year contract extension, has said he would welcome being captain of the Premier League club.
De Gea, 28, has long been linked with a move away from Old Trafford but said he wanted to help the team return to the summit of English soccer at a supporters’ event in Singapore.
United’s previous captain Antonio Valencia left at the end of last season and De Gea is one of several players in the frame to replace him along with Ashley Young, Juan Mata, Chris Smalling and Paul Pogba.
United, who have not lost a match on their pre-season tour so far, beating Perth Glory, Leeds United and Inter Milan, take on Tottenham Hotspur in Shanghai on Thursday.
Brazilian veteran left-back Filipe Luis has signed for boyhood club Flamengo after leaving Atletico Madrid on a free transfer.
The Rio de Janeiro club and the player confirmed the move Tuesday on social media.
Flamengo said the 33-year-old Luis has signed a deal until 2021.
Luis has played in Europe for 14 years but left Atletico on Sunday after his contract expired.
The left-back was a starter for Brazil during its recent run to the Copa América title.
With Atletico, Luis won the Copa del Rey in 2013, the Spanish league in 2014, and the Europa League in 2012 and 2018. He also had a brief spell with Chelsea in between, winning the Premier League in 2015.
Flamengo is third in the Brazilian championship after 11 matches, five points behind leader and defending champion Palmeiras.
Olympique Lyonnais captain Nabil Fekir has moved to Spain’s Real Betis for an initial 19.75 million euros ($22.12 million) fee, the French club has said.
The attacking midfielder was a target for Liverpool last season but the deal fell through after the player failed a medical and the French club decided to sell him to Betis after he entered the final year of his contract.
The deal for the 26-year-old Frenchman includes up to an additional 10 million euros in add-ons and Lyon will also receive a 20% sell-on fee if he leaves Betis.
Fekir’s younger brother Yassin, 22, has also moved to Betis, with Lyon to receive 50% of any future transfer fee for the striker if he leaves the La Liga side.
Nabil Fekir scored 69 goals in nearly 200 matches with Lyon, becoming club captain in 2017 before winning the World Cup with France last year.
Arsenal manager Unai Emery said on Monday that Real Madrid midfielder Dani Ceballos was someone he admired as the Premier League club work on bringing in one player.
The Gunners have yet to make a marquee signing in this transfer window, but British media have reported that Ceballos, 22, is close to completing a season-long loan move to London.
If Arsenal beat Real they will travel back to England with a 100% record from their United States tour.
Arsenal’s youngsters have been impressive, scoring seven of the team’s eight pre-season goals, but Emery plans to give the senior players more game time in the US capital.
Brazil women’s national team coach Oswaldo Alvarez, known as Vadão, has been fired after the team was eliminated in the Round of 16 in the Women’s World Cup.
The Brazilian soccer confederation announced the move on Monday and said Vadão’s replacement would be named soon.