KUWAIT CITY, Dec 4: In the recent past several Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) and Overseas Citizen of India (OCIs) have been asked to submit or link their Aadhaar number to avail the services/ benefits/schemes such as operation of bank account, etc.
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has clarified that:
(i) Aadhaar number as an identity document may be sought only from the ‘residents’ of India. Section 2(v) of the Aadhaar Act defines ‘resident’ as an individual who has resided in India for a period of one hundred and eightytwo days or more.
(ii) Most of the NRIs/PIOs/ OCIs may not be eligible for Aadhaar enrolment as per Aadhaar Act, 2016.
(iii) Section 7 of the Aadhaar Act, inter-alia, provides that “if an Aadhaar number is not assigned to an individual, the individual shall be offered alternate and viable means of identification for delivery of subsidy, benefits or service”. An illustrative list of services that are directly or indirectly connected with NRIs and/or NRI Pensioners is attached as an Annexure.
Annexure: Illustrative list of services that are directly or indirectly connected with NRIs and/or NRI Pensioners
1) Linking PAN and Bank Accounts with Aadhaar
2) Linking Service Pension with Aadhaar
3) Aadhaar based e-KYC
4) Applying for new mobile phone connections in India
5) Maintaining the existing NRE & NRO bank accounts in India
6) Registering with Jeevan Pramaan/Digital Life Certificate for pension
7) Registering with Kendriya Sainik Board Secretariat (for retired Defence personnel)
8) Maintaining Ex-Servicemen Contributory Health Scheme (ECHS)
9) Various Scholarships introduced for children of Ex-Servicemen
10) Applying for Defence Canteen Smart Card
11) Applying for LPG connection
12) Registering with e-District service for obtaining various services from State Governments
13) Issuance of fresh or renewal of driving license
14) Appearing by students in different entrance examinations in India
15) Issuance of certificates by Universities/Boards to students under different public examinations
16) Applying for registration of property, etc.