MILAN, Oct 26, (Agencies): Hip-hop duo Macklemore and Ryan Lewis were the surprise winners Sunday for Best Video at the MTV Europe Music Awards in a show dominated by Justin Bieber. In a field that included superstar Taylor Swift, who had the most nominations of the night, the Seattle-based duo won for Best Video with “Downtown.”
“I had no idea we were going to win an award,” Macklemore told the gala ceremony in Milan.
“We’re not on a major label; we don’t have a big budget. What you guys give to us, we give back to you in the art we make,” Macklemore said, referring to fans.
The duo, best known for their 2012 gay equality anthem “Same Love,” shot the video for the funky track “Downtown” in Spokane, Washington, showing street life as Macklemore shops for a moped and leads a street parade.
Pop sensation Bieber, whose long-awaited album fourth album “Purpose” comes out next month, appeared in a red jumpsuit as he performed his new hit “What Do You Mean?” driven by a mellow electronic beat.
The Canadian singer took home awards for Best Male, Best Collaboration and Best Look — for which he joked, “I got these looks from my mom.”
Bieber hinted that he was happy to win attention for his music, not his legal troubles or often turbulent personal life.
“Thank you, it’s been a long couple of years. I just feel that this is pretty awesome to be recognised for my music,” Bieber said.
Best Video is determined by MTV’s editorial team, but most categories are decided through fans’ voting.
Best Song went to Taylor Swift’s “Bad Blood,” whose video — a star-studded action clip with feminist undertones — landed Video of the Year at the main US-based MTV Awards in August.
R&B star Rihanna, who is also preparing to release a long-awaited album, won for Best Female and British boy band One Direction scored in the Best Pop category.
Nicki Minaj won in the hip-hop category, as she did at the main MTV Video Music Awards in Los Angeles in August.
But Minaj was again not nominated for Best Video. After she was passed over at the US awards, she accused the music industry of a blind spot towards black women, saying that her sensual “Anaconda” video was clearly influential.
Minaj accepted the latest award in a video message, saying, “I wish I was in Milan, having some delicious spaghetti, but I am not.”
Conceived as an alternative to the MTV Video Music Awards aimed at international fans, North American stars nonetheless have often dominated the European edition, whose venue changes each year.
MTV also partnered with Instagram to host a custom booth backstage at the awards show, inspired by Instagram’s just-launched Boomerang app, through which attending stars shot images of themselves and Instagrammed them and boomerang style videos throughout the evening.
Full list of 2015 MTV EMA Winners
* Best Song: Taylor Swift featuring Kendrick Lamar “Bad Blood”
* Best Pop: One Direction
* Best Female: Rihanna
* Best Male: Justin Bieber
* Best Live Act: Ed Sheeran
* Best New Act: Shawn Mendes
* Best Video: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis “Downtown”
* Best Rock: Coldplay
* Best Alternative: Lana Del Rey
* Best Hip-Hop: Nicki Minaj
* Best Electronic: Martin Garrix
* Best Push: Shawn Mendes
* Best Collaboration: Justin Bieber, Skrillex, Diplo “Where Are You Now?”
* Biggest Fans: Justin Bieber
* Best Look: Justin Bieber
* Best World Stage: Ed Sheeran V Festival, Hylands Park, UK 2014
* Video Visionary Award: Duran Duran
* Worldwide Act: North America – Canada – Justin Bieber
* Worldwide Act: Latin America – Brazil – Anitta
* Worlwide Act: Europe – Italy – Marco Mengoni
* Worldwide Act: Africa/India – Africa – Diamond Platnumz
* Worldwide Act: Asia – China – Jane Zhang
* Worldwide Act: Australia/New Zealand – Australia – 5 Seconds of Summer.