Tuesday , October 24 2017

IS suicide bomber in Libya ‘kills 3 soldiers’

Benghazi, Libya, Dec 18, 2016 (AFP) -A jihadist suicide bombing targeting forces loyal to Marshal Khalifa Haftar in Libya’s second city Benghazi on Sunday killed at least three soldiers and wounded nine, a military source said.
The attack was claimed by the Islamic State group, which was driven out of its Libyan stronghold of Sirte earlier this month.
“A suicide bomber in a small truck exploded his vehicle in the Qanfouda region,” one of the last bastions of the jihadists in Benghazi, a special forces source told AFP in the eastern city.
He said the blast killed three soldiers and wounded nine.
“This attack was carried out against our forces despite all possible precautions being taken,” the source added, speaking on condition of anonymity.
In an online statement, IS said that one of its men, Nadhir al-Harb, carried out the attack against “soldiers of the tyrant Haftar”.
Benghazi, the cradle of the revolution that ended Moamer Kadhafi’s regime in 2011, has seen more than two years of clashes as Haftar’s forces try to oust jihadist militias from the city.
The militias include the Shura Revolutionary Council of Benghazi, a coalition of Islamist groups including Ansar Al-Sharia, a group close to Al-Qaeda, and IS.
Five years after the revolution, Libya is still embroiled in violence and run by two rival administrations.

Check Also

Philippines, Australia hold drill – ‘Battle for Marawi to end soon’

SUBIC BAY, Philippines, Oct 15, (Agencies): Filipino and Australian naval forces darted across the sea …

Translate »