Saturday , September 22 2018

Philippines ready for war if troops harmed

US will confront China on islands militarization: Mattis

In this March 30, 2014, file photo, the dilapidated Philippine Navy ship LT 57 Sierra Madre is in the shallow waters of Second Thomas Shoal in the South China Sea. Officials say the Philippine government has quietly protested after Chinese ships deployed a helicopter that flew close to a Philippine navy boat carrying supplies to Filipino marines at a disputed shoal this month. (AP)

MANILA, May 30, (Agencies): Th e Philippines is prepared to go to war if military personnel are harmed in disputed waters, a top security official said on Wednesday, firing back at criticism the government was going soft on China and allowing it to militarise the South China Sea.

President Rodrigo Duterte has taken flak in recent weeks for not confronting Beijing following news that China had installed missile systems on artificial islands in the busy waterway, including areas within Manila’s Exclusive Economic Zone.

Political opponents are outraged at his government’s failure even to lodge a diplomatic protest, but Duterte, unlike his predecessor, enjoys good relations with Beijing and wants its investment, oft en saying he cannot afford to go to war with a far superior China. National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon said the Philippines would always try to pursue talks to defuse tension, but war could not be ruled out as a last resort if its military was provoked or aggrieved. “The other night, the president said if his troops are harmed, that could be his red line,” Esperon told reporters. The remarks echoed Monday’s comments by Foreign Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano to foreign service members that Duterte had told China he would not allow any unsanctioned construction in the Scarborough Shoal or resource extraction in areas where the Philippines had sovereign rights.

China claims most of the South China Sea, through which about $3-trillion worth of goods passes every year. It has made substantial progress in fortifying its manmade islands in the past few years, which it says it has the right to defend.

Last week, the Philippines expressed “serious concern” over the presence of China’s strategic bombers in the disputed waters, but its response to the installation of missile systems was muted.

Meanwhile, the US will continue to confront China’s militarization of manmade islands in the South China Sea, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Tuesday, arguing that Beijing hasn’t abided by its promise not to put weapons on the Spratly Islands.

Mattis said American ships are maintaining a “steady drumbeat” of naval operations around the disputed islands, adding that “only one country” seems to be bothered by the vessels’ routine activities. “We are going out of our way to cooperate with Pacific nations, that’s the way we do business in the world,” Mattis told reporters traveling with him to a national security conference in Singapore. “But we are also going to confront what we believe is out of step with international law, out of step with international tribunals that have spoken on the issue.”

Please follow and like us:

Check Also

Duterte says may deploy warship to save Filipino captives in Libya

MANILA, Aug 3 (Reuters) – Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Friday he might send …

Translate »
Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial